Electric Hob Blowing fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, wondering if you can help me.

I have a seperate electric hob and oven which i presume are the ones which were supplied when my flat was originally built in 96 or so. I am the second owner.

2 of the hob plates now trip the mcb when turned on, whilst the other 2 work ok. When i investigated to find out what was happening, i noticed that the hob is connected to a 13A fused spur behind the oven (which also blows) which is then conected behind the wall (along with the oven) to the cooker socket.

Having read some of the posts on this forum it looks as if this is completely wrong, however it seems to have worked fine for 10 years or so and i am assuming this is how it was originally installed.

Im assuming im going to have to replace the hob, given its age etc and was hoping to simply reconnect the new one using the old wiring, but am i right in thinking this could be a serious problem using the 13A fused spur?

Sponsored Links
Assuming the cable/MCB size is suitable for the load of the hob + oven, the same size cable feeding the cooker switch is used between the switch and the FCU, and that the oven is below 3kW, you can connect the hob to the cooker switch, and the oven to the fused spur.

If the above 3 assumptions are not correct, then come back and we'll offer an alternative solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back