Electric hob causing halogen lights/transformer to fail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a previous problem with one of the 2 banks of halogen capsules in my kitchen, both of which were serviced by an individual transformer. Turned out the transformer could handle 105W, and there were 10 x 50w capsules in place!! So, I took all the caps out and put in 5x10w and it worked. However, was cooking last night, turned on the electric hob and the lights in the formerly troublesome bank went out, and still no joy this morning. Could the two factors be connected, i'm gutted! What's the general power output from an electric hob?

Cheers guys

Dan

Sponsored Links
electric hobs have a total power output of up to 7500 watts. The individual rings will be rated between 1500 watts and 3500 watts.

Its highly unlikely to be related to the lights.

ok, thanks Steve. With what you've said in mind, any thoughts on why the lights/tf would go seemingly without warning- could the transformer finally have given up the ghost?

If you kept the previously overloaded transformer, it could still have damage from before.

Sponsored Links
Halogen capsules can appear to fail because the pins aren't contacting properly (likely if the fitting has overheated in the past). You can try removing the capsule and slightly bending one of the pins. (Too much and it will snap.) This will give a tighter fit.

Edit: and now having re-read your post, this is an unlikely cause as you say they all go out at once!

Just to close this one out, replaced the transformer and all is good. Thanks for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back