Electric in Freehold block of flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just moved into a new flat.
I did not get an electrician for electric inspection due to time constraint and before I get any electrician in, wanted to gather some thoughts on the electric board for all the flat.

See attached picture in file name : "Freehold electric cellar"

I was quite shocked to see that bare installation....
is that normal? or should that require immediate attention?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Which bit is bare? It's a bit untidy, but other than that nothing stands out.

Most of that equipment belongs to the DNO and is not something an electrician can (should) work on.

The trunking lid is missing.

And it looks like an Isco block is hanging out of it, which was probably intended to be in the trunking.

Can you see a trunking lid anywhere?

Something about trunking lids in cupboards - folk don't seem to put them back on.

Is all that stuff in your flat?

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for your input.

I guess I was just expecting to see it all neat and tidy and clear of cable...
This is located within a humid cellar with humidity - but I guess it has been fine so far.

Most of that equipment belongs to the DNO and is not something an electrician can (should) work on.

What do you mean by DNO?

The trunking lid is missing.

And it looks like an Isco block is hanging out of it, which was probably intended to be in the trunking.

Can you see a trunking lid anywhere?

Something about trunking lids in cupboards - folk don't seem to put them back on.

I did not see any trunking lid... I guess it is gone.

Is all that stuff in your flat?
No this is in the cellar on the grounfloor.

Thanks for your thought.

Good to see nothing major. :)

Not sure why you're looking at this if it's not in your flat, but I would be the same.

There should be a lid on it - it was obviously designed to have one.

I wouldn't say it was immediately dangerous, just very untidy.

Can you see if some bits of the trunking have been 'cut out'?

If so, cables shouldn't be against any rough or sharp edges.

Hopefully you have a managing agent or whatever who MAY take an interest just to smarten it up.

A new piece of lid could propably fit over it, though a bit of simple modification may be needed to fix it in place.

Thanks so much for your input.

This is located within a humid cellar with humidity - but I guess it has been fine so far.

What do you mean by DNO?

The DNO is the distribution network operator. They used to be called the electric board many years ago. They are responsible for supplying the electricity from the local substation, under the road and up into your house. Everything upto your electricity meter is their equipment and their responsibility.

IMGP1270-1.jpg

Not sure why you're looking at this if it's not in your flat,
Sounds like it's in a communal area that serves his flat. It seems perfectly reasonable to me to be checking on the condition of communal stuff when buying into it.

As to ownership, there will be a mixture. The service head will be owned by the DNO, the meters by various meter operators working on behalf of suppliers, the stuff after the meters will presumablly belong to the individual flats. Not sure about the wiring between head and meters*.

Afaict these communal areas tend to get in a mess because there is no one entity with responsibility and control. So you just get an accretion of modifications and additions each of which looked reasonable in the circumstances but which add up to a horrible mess.

* One would logically assume the DNO or the meter operator but i've seen reports of cases where both denied responsibility for it //www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/electricity-supply-responsiblity.375737/

Far back in the mists of time when supplies were put into flays it was always the duty of the customer/landlord to supply & fit the trunking for joint use as both sets of meter tails were in it.
From that I have always maintained it is still their duty to maintain it!!

A colleague is dealing one like that in the photo BAS posted, but as we are doing the work we have boarded out two walls in the meter room and are supplying and fitting a lot of 150mm steel trunking

Cool. thanks all for your input.
Greatly appreciated.

Will raise it at the next free hold meeting and get the electrician to have a look to get in input too.

Cheers.

A colleague is dealing one like that in the photo BAS posted, but as we are doing the work we have boarded out two walls in the meter room and are supplying and fitting a lot of 150mm steel trunking
Just curious, who is paying for the work and why is it being done? did someone decide that the mess was getting so bad it was no longer safe? was their some kind of incident/accident?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back