electric in shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have no space in my fusebox but it is protected by an rcd.
can i spur of a socket and put 1 two gang socket and a couple of lights. is this ok?
and what is the total of lights i can put in there?

Sponsored Links
You could spur 1 socket from a socket in your house that is not already a spur to give you a double socket in the shed, then u could run a light down to the socket and just plug it in the socket, it is not recommended to take another switched fuse spur from the socket in the shed as u cannot spur from a spur.
Wire using 2.5mm t+e unless u have to go underground then use armoured cable.
I would recommend using a weatherproof socket if its in a shed and these are not always entierly waterproof.

Help! said:
i have no space in my fusebox but it is protected by an rcd.
can i spur of a socket and put 1 two gang socket and a couple of lights. is this ok?
and what is the total of lights i can put in there?

or you could take a spur off of a socket, run this to a fused spur(13amp)
then off into your shed then you may asmany sockets as you wish and then have anover fused spur(3amp) fot the lights

BR

but wouldn't this be spurring off a spur

(not doubting your knowledge just asking)

Sponsored Links
Help! said:
but wouldn't this be spurring off a spur

(not doubting your knowledge just asking)
no it is a sub circuit suplyed buy a spur, the 13amp fuse limits the amount of current that may be drawn through the cable, a 2.5mm2 cable will take 24amps happily, 13amps gives plenty of room, unless you intend to use a huge amount of heavy equipment 13amps should be fine

BR

thanks supersparks glad to see the is still true professsionals out there.

Help! said:
http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/Module.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1163448820.1068239305@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadcjkjjhfghcfngcfkmdgkldfhl.0&cacheID=ukie&3245692328=3245692328&catoid=-84235591

That is along the right lines but something like this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLBS16slash6.html would be more appropriate for your needs, if you have an rcd in your cu at the moment you dont even need one of these and you could just put a fused spur fitted with a 3amp fuse in your garage(comming off the same cable as the sockets) which could either be used as the switch, or could be used as pritection fot the lights only and a separate switch could be fitted.

BR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back