electric light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. I had a 10 light fitting in my living room, thought it developed a fault , so I got a new one that takes 3 x 40 watt candle light bulbs. Now one of the bulbs crackles and goes out and interferes with my television. Can anyone tell me why this is happening

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a loose connection in there, best bet is to take it back and get them to swop it.

Are you sure the bulb is screwed all the way into the lamp holder?

Can anyone tell me why this is happening
No.

What happened with the old fitting, that made you think it needed throwing in the dustbin? 10 lamps indicated its a low voltage halogen jobbie, with a transformer. I bet it needs a new transformer. Dead easy.

However, is this fitting controlled by a dimmer switch?

Sponsored Links
The fact it is only one lamp of the 3 says the problem is with the fitting. Maybe try a new lamp first but is sounding like a problem with the fitting.
Is it Bayonet Cap or Edison Screw?

The old light fitting which I only had for 2 years worked fine, then gradually I had to replace the bulbs. Through time I couldn't get all 10 to work, up to 8 would work but he second I put the 9th and 10th bulb in the light would go down to the amllest flicker of light, but worked fine with 8 bulbs, so I replaced it, now new one will work for an hour or so, then one light crackles and goes out, and causes interference in my television, after about 5 minutes the light comes back on again for another 40 minutes or so and does it all over again

I have tried two new lamps and one of the ones that is working in the light fitting, still happens

It's faulty. Exchange it. Assuming you didn't purchase it marked as faulty then you shouldn't need to repair it to get it working.

Sounds like you fitted the wrong wattage of bulbs to your old fitting and the Tx couldn't supply them with what they needed.

The lamp contact in the fitting is probably now quite burnt. It probably started with a lamp not screwed in tight enough. Now you have a high resistance connection.

You may be able to fix it by cleaning the contacts with some sandpaper/emery cloth.

Turn your power off at the main switch on the fuseboard before stuffing your fingers in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back