Electric lightbulb economy

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My eldest son visited us last night and ran round the house counting the number of electric light bulbs left on so now I have to do something about them and I need help.
To start with we have four wall light bulbs marked, "220-240V50/60Hz24mA" They are approximately 100mm tall, 35mm wide and the bayonet is 20mm wide I don't have the faintest idea what that is in watts, more to the point what power efficient bulbs I should replace them with and whom from. This could be an interesting journey.

Sponsored Links
My eldest son visited us last night and ran round the house counting the number of electric light bulbs left on so now I have to do something about them and I need help.
To start with we have four wall light bulbs marked, "220-240V50/60Hz24mA" They are approximately 100mm tall, 35mm wide and the bayonet is 20mm wide I don't have the faintest idea what that is in watts, more to the point what power efficient bulbs I should replace them with and whom from. This could be an interesting journey.

Pretty sure they will be LED lamps. Possibly they are CFLs. Either way, The electricity used is negligible. Post a photo to confirm.

From your description they are 6Watts each. You could leave one lit for 160 hours using 1 unit (1kWh) of electricity costing (depending on your tariff) around 15 pence.

All four of them together cost less than half a penny an hour.

Phone chargers, electric toothbrush, radio are also too small to notice

Expensive electricty usage is:
Fan heater
Tumble drier
Immersion heater
Electric shower

Nothing else comes close.

Here are some examples of lightbulbs. Your Supermarket will have others. Just remember to buy only LED lamps.

The dimmable ones are a little less economical, only buy them if you have a new compatible dimmer (older dimmers will not work)

The packaging OUGHT TO tell you how many lumens they give. As a rough rule of thumb, the old 100Watt light bulb gave around 1200 lumens, and was adequate for a medium size room. For an LED lamp, thats about 12 watts. The light ouput per watt of LED lamps has increased over the last ten years so old tables will be out of date.

For a bedside lamp, or porch, use an LED of around 5 watts.

My landing lights are about 8 watts.

Before buying a lot, buy one and assess it for suitability. I find LEDs seem brighter than the numbers suggest.

They last for a very long time, so you won't need a cupboard full of spares.

Look for "warm white"

Also available is "cool white" which is pure white like a laboratory or office, less homely.

Last edited:

Simple way, is to feel each lamp when it has been on a while and if hot to the touch, then they are incandescent - so you should consider replacing them with LED versions. Look at the wattage of the lamp, and dividing by around 10, will give you an equivalent light output in LED. 240v at 24mA suggest LED and around 5w.
Changing CFL's (compact florescent lamps) which were a replacement for ordinary lamps and tubular florescent is less important, as they are almost similarly efficient.

Sponsored Links
FYI, this is a CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) and almost as economical, not worth changing, except perhaps in a WC as they take a while to warm up to full brightness.

37966.jpg

A lot of these were given away by electricity companies to save energy. They last for years.

Because modern lamps are so cheap to run, I recommend illuminating stairways all night to reduce the rsk of accident.

Back