Electric Meter in Shower Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again all,

I have a electricity meter in a cabinet in a room that is currently a toilet/cloak room. The room is approx 2mx2m and I plan to put a shower and extractor in there. Will I be ok to leave the elec meter in the box as long as the room has good ventilation, the shower will be at the oposite side of the room to the box, near the window and the extractor. The reason I ask is they want £750 to move the meter and need to dig part of my tarmac drive up as well due to the old cable needing replacing apparently, which will wreck the drive as it will always look like a trench has been cut and patched up, like on the roads.

p.s. the elec meter looks like a old dial type it doesnt look electronic.

Thanks

Rose

Sponsored Links
cluelesstotallyclueless,
no! no! no!
If a shower was installed in this room it would then become a special locations. This would simply not be allowed!
SPS

Unless it is 3m horizontally from the edge of the shower tray...

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to turn the meter cabinet 180 deg so it is facing the other way into another room or in an external cabinet? This will avoid re-laying cable. Is your fusebox also in the cloakroom?

Also, you say the old cable needs replacing. Is this because of another reason not connected with you asking for it to be moved?

It has to be suitable for the environment.

I would suggest that you could build a moisture-proof LOCKABLE enclosure.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes the fusebox is also in that room but I am having that upgraded and moved to another room.

No there is no other reason for the change in cable, they said something about it being lead so couldnt be reconnected and would have to replace it from the connection under the driveway.

Unfortuneatly I can't move it 180 degress as the front door would be opening onto it.

Can you buy moisture-proof lockable cabinets that would be suitable or would I have to make one?

Rose

Ask the supply company if they would consider moving their cut-out ( the bit with the sealed fuse in it ) to the new location of the meter and consumer unit. They could do this by extending their service cable using a water proof ( resin filled ) joint where cut-out is at present.

You may then be required to provide a mechanical protection around that joint.

This appear to have been the method used to raise cut-outs and meters above the flood line in some properties without having to re-lay the service cables to the properties. Though the lead cable may not be suitable for a modern resin filled joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back