Electric Oven and Induction Hob cable requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

We have a 10mm cable going to our oven at the moment. On installing a new kitchen later this year, we might want to install an induction hob as well on the same cable.

Looking at the requirement I think it falls very close to the limits of the cable, and just wondered what you guys thought. An induction hob we are looking at has a maximum draw of 7.2kW and the oven 3.5kW, which comes out at 47A. We also wanted a 13A plug, but I don't think that is going to happen, if we go for the hob.

Looking at these regs as previously posted by someone on this forum (http://www2.theiet.org/Publish/WireRegs/2001_Amd_1.pdf) is it at the top end. The cable itself is capped and plastered over for about 2.5m (including up to the switch and the rest of the 5m goes through the joists (total ~7.5m).

Is 10mm cable OK??

Could I also use a 13A plug, or is this out of the question?

Thanks for your help

Adam.

Sponsored Links
Do you have the option to use a separate circuit for the oven? You could use a 16A radial circuit for the oven and leave the hob on its own switch (with socket outlet) on the cooker circuit.

Afraid not, we have just had our ceilings skimmed downstairs under the kitchen :(

Yes, I know we should have thought about it before hand.. :)

That's 10.7kW at full usage though, if you apply diversity (which for a cooking appliance you can generally say first 10A plus 30% of remainder, plus 5A if a socket-outlet is incorporated), it's less.

In your case, oven at 3.5kW is 15.2A, so first 10A plus 30% of remainder is 11.56A. Hob at 7.2kW is 31.3A, so first 10A plus 30% of remainder is 16.39A

Add on 5A for the socket outlet that you want, and that gives you 27.95A, i.e. a lot less than your 47A. I would probably recommend putting it on a 40/45A breaker, which should be fine depending on the installation method of the cable (e.g. if its under more than 100mm of insulation you'll have a problem), and I don't think you'll have a problem...

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the information - puts my mind at rest for when the wife insists on the induction hob!

Thanks

Adam.

can you use diversity on induction hobs?

i didn't think you could because of the way they work..

although, what are the odds you'll use all 4 / 5 "rings" at the same time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back