Electric Power Generation

Oh, don't let this become yet another 'God thread'.

Please, God-botherers, why not rant about it on one of the several existing God threads?

Sponsored Links
It was the atheist botherers who brought God into it.
So tell them to pizz off.

Edit
On second thoughts don't. As there would be (almost) nobody left on gd.

Please, God-botherers, why not rant about it on one of the several existing God threads?
I think you will find that it was an atheist that started the God thing....

:LOL: ok. never heard such tripe. Lets give up and pray to a non existent god. Or build modern day planetary arks, tell you what, you and your like can be on the first one if you like. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Dead funny you are Eddy. I like the subtle way you seamlessly introduced religion into this thread.
You are a covert genius.

I'm really not bothered who started it, in fact it has echoes of the school playground: 'He started it miss'! :LOL:

How about we get back on track on what I thought was an interesting topic?

Sponsored Links
Come on Norcon, retaliate man. I'd tell them the one about the light (seeing as this thread is about power generation),,,,,.. We had a power cut the other evening and I was speaking to one of my neighbours, who said "It's terrible without the light." This got me thinking about god,, God is the light, therefore it follows that those without the light, are those without God. I prayed and prayed and lo,,,,, the lights came on. Hooray, All of my neighbours praised Eon, but I praised the Lord. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

This is what happens when a wind turbine gets out of control in high winds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqEccgR0q-o[/QUOTE]

Not very reassuring is it? Did somebody forget to do their maintenance? Or is it faulty equipment or design. I'd assume that they have electro magnetic brakes (at least two surely?) that are fail safe and are "off" when the current is applied.

Mind you 40 years ago when I was doing my day release they told us about a turbine driven generator in a power station, can't remember where. The main breaker came out, unloading the generator and the turbine immediately drove it above it's critical speed and exploded. The "slam shut" valve in the steam feed which is supposed to stop this happening either failed, or wasn't present. The turbine ended up several hundred yards away and IIRC hit a bus. IIRC this was said to be "a long time ago" then, which was itself a long time ago. . .

This is what happens when a wind turbine gets out of control in high winds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqEccgR0q-o[/QUOTE]

Ridiculous things only there to appease the greenies.

They remind me of the story of the three bears:
wind speed too low = no good;
wind speed too high = no good;
wind speed just right = OK let's generate a bit of electricity.

You'd think that if we are determined to use wind power to generate electricity it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to design a wind turbine that can adapt itself to, and make efficient use of any wind speed.

I'm really not bothered who started it, in fact it has echoes of the school playground: 'He started it miss'! :LOL:
True, but for the sake of parity you could have phrased your post...

Please, God-botherers and fellow atheiests, why not rant about it on one of the several existing God threads?

As Jesus once said "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone".

The key to this issue, and I didn't see it on the skim read-through is spinning reserve.

As the OP stated, with more loads adding onto the grid at peak times, the grid controller schedules gas/coal and on really bad days oil to come online. Some coal and gas stations are also base load, but nuclear is always regard base load (in the UK - a different picture in France). Before the stations are scheduled on, they are "spinning reserve", ready to close the output breaker and apply a block load at a few seconds notice (and this stops frequency plummeting through the floor).

The advent of wind (and to a lesser extent tidal) has meant spinning reserve is required to support not only the feature indicated above, but also to flatten out the troughs of supply from wind turbines when the wind has died off for a second or so. If you have a really large wind farm, the effect is averaged across the whole lot as not all of the turbines will suffer loss of wind gust at the same second - when it does happen the spinning reserve will be instructed to output more and so the larger the wind farm you have, the more spinning reserve you need to back it up!

A smart solution to this is to use a product such as that offered by ITM Power, but it is not yet in large scale use.

The long and short of it is, national grid cannot use wind as base-load supply as it needs to have spinning reserve - and that makes it NOT base-load! So the wind farms help to supply peak demands instead, they offset the need for extra gas, coal or oil (in that order) but there is often still a requirement as the wind supply falls as demand rises across the day.

Nozzle

True, but for the sake of parity you could have phrased your post...

Please, God-botherers and fellow atheiests, why not rant about it on one of the several existing God threads?

As Jesus once said "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone".

Yes, indeed, I should. My apologies.

Sponsored Links
Back