Electric Radiator Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a electric Rad

http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=55017341

It has an incredibly short lead so needed an extension socket.

First time i plugged it in it tripped my electric fuse switch a couple of time.
Seems to be working ok now after a week of testing it,
but i am concerned if i go out and it trips it again my fridge could defrost.

If i bought a extension socket with surge protection, would this turn off the electric supply before the main switch was tripped?

Is this a good idea?

Cheers for any advice

Pete

Sponsored Links
Did it trip the RCD ort the circuit breaker - makes a difference in the diagnosis.

PJ

With such a low output one would not expect this one to cause an overload. However if it uses mineral insulated elements then it could have absorbed moisture and this can cause it to trip a RCD. Typically after a couple on minutes as it starts to move the moisture around. It that is the problem then once fully hot it should drive the moisture out and then work OK.

As with other post the question is what type of device is it opening? If RCD then makes sense if not then what else is on same circuit?

Hi

it tripped the main switch so all my electrics went off. (not sure what this is called?- Not to up on electrics)

It hasn't happened since so like you said it could have been moisture, that has now gone.

Just for peace of mind though i'm thinking a surge protect socket may be worth it?

Cheers for feedback

Sponsored Links
Just for peace of mind though i'm thinking a surge protect socket may be worth it?
No.

1) Completely different things - surges are nothing to do with earth faults.

2) Those sockets protect what is plugged into them from being damaged by voltage spikes on the supply, such as sensitive electronic items, not the rest of the installation from earth faults in what is plugged in.

3) A radiator doesn't need surge protection anyway.

4) The RCD did not trip because of a surge.

OK - lets see if we can persuade any of the (at least 5) ****s who said I should not have replied as I did above to provide rational explanations of what was wrong with it.

No.
So you think it is worth the OP buying a surge protecting socket?

Could you explain how one of those would stop an appliance tripping an RCD?

1) Completely different things - surges are nothing to do with earth faults.
Am I wrong there? Are surges related to, or responsible for, earth faults?

2) Those sockets protect what is plugged into them from being damaged by voltage spikes on the supply, such as sensitive electronic items, not the rest of the installation from earth faults in what is plugged in.
Am I wrong there? Are those sockets not meant to protect appliances from voltage spikes, or are meant to protect the rest of the installation from earth faults?

3) A radiator doesn't need surge protection anyway.
Am I wrong there? Do electric radiator heating elements exhibit great intolerance to spikes/surges? Do the manufacturers recommend such protection?

4) The RCD did not trip because of a surge.
Am I wrong there? Can you explain how a surge did trip, or could well have tripped, the RCD?

Alternatively, could you all stop acting like pathetic childish idiots, and stop thinking that what people asking advice here is to be told that posts are no good when there is actually not one single thing wrong in them?

Mandala - please take no notice of the 5 -ve votes, there really is nothing wrong with my advice, but unfortunately there's a bunch of destructive idiots at loose on this forum who don't care how much damage they do just so long as they can indulge themselves by criticising me.

They would rather you got a false impression, and went off and wasted your money on a pointless anti-surge socket, than that they should behave with a shred of decency.

It's shameful, and I apologise on behalf of the forum for their disgusting behaviour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back