Electric rangemaster tripping electric - what size mcb?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cooker occasionally trips the 'Wylex B32 MCB' when almost everything is going... Although main culprit seems to be the grill.

There are two ovens, one grill, hot plate, grill plate and four electric hob rings so its not small.

Does a 32amp MCB sound okay? I can't find online the actual spec but it is the same as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rangemaster-Leisure-110-Electric-Cooker-/111002164228

No idea what size cable is coming down supplying it...

Thanks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You will need to confirm the cable size, a 32 amp mcb has some overhead and thus it's likely that 20% + overload is causing the trip.

Find the total load via the site below, a ceramic nit is 14kw shock:

http://www.rangemaster.co.uk/

Once you have measured the existing cable size look in the diynot wiki, electrics uk for a table that shows cable size measured to cable manufactured size in sq mm.

Come back with detail and we can talk more.

You will need to confirm the cable size, a 32 amp mcb has some overhead and thus it's likely that 20% + overload is causing the trip.
Well...

I1 is +13%, 36A, and I2 is +45%, 46A, so I am surprised that the cooker can be a big enough load for long enough. I wonder if the breaker is old and tired?

Find the total load via the site below, a ceramic nit is 14kw shock:
Is that the whole thing? Conventional diversity gives a load of 24-25A.

Still - we always warn that if you push it too far you could get tripping when everything is on full - I'd rather see a 60A cooker on a 45/50A circuit.

We have that model (for about 15 years) - SWMBO will quite often have everything running apart from the grill and griddle. Never had the MCB trip - it's on a 32A Contactum!

Tripped the RCD just before one of the oven elements went - and once when some moisture must have got into plates (by the time I got home and looked at it it was fine, but we had had a large "boil over" the day before - it's never done it again).

Sponsored Links
as long as the line is 6mm, you probably need to upgrade to a 40a mcb

I would say much depends on the use. With most cookers in a domestic situation we never use everything together, however put the same cooker in a pub and the situation is very different. In general the range cooker has hot plates and covers and heat is stored ready for when required and the hot plates have cool and hot areas so the heat control is not altered much but the pans are moved around.

I have not really worked out the advantage of Range type cookers with electric or gas in the main they were solid fuel or oil fired. But it could be the way you are using it which is demanding more current.

If called to this first thing would be to measure what is used. It can vary so much. Install a cooker hood and the power the cooker requires can saw. So needs some one on site we can only guess on a forum.

In general the range cooker has hot plates and covers and heat is stored ready for when required and the hot plates have cool and hot areas so the heat control is not altered much but the pans are moved around.
You're describing the traditional Aga/Rayburn type, which as you say were typically solid or oil fuelled.

These days there are a lot of cookers like the OPs where "range" means an ordinary electric/gas/dual-fuel cooker which has been stretched to give you 5 or 6 burners on the hob, 2 or 3 ovens, a grill....

On some of the cheaper ones you can see a strip of metal covering the join where they have taken one of their 60cm cookers and just grafted an extension on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back