How can I tell what AMP this switch is for my cooker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK.
So I have this switch that is like this.
I have always used it for my Cannon Gas Cooker and Oven, as it is installed near it..
I need to replace the cooker and want to buy a Dual Cooker: Hob Gas and Electric Grill & Oven... In the Specs it says it needs a 32amp switch.
Is this a 32amp switch, how can I tell?
One thing I have noticed is that one of the switches in the MAIN box is JUST for the cooker to switch off.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Your new cooker will not only require a 32A switch, but a 32A protective device and 32A cabling as well.

Has it?

I have no idea :0
What is the protective device?
By cabling do you mean the cable attached/or comes with the cooker? That is provided.

What is written on the MCB (the "switch" in the main box)?

If its something like 32A or B32, that's a very good start, but is not proof that everything is correct.

The switch in your picture is designed for an electric cooker and if it has been installed with the correct cable and protective device (fuse or MCB) then chances are it will be suitable for your new cooker.

If you're not sure then have it checked, any electrician should be able to give you an answer within a couple of minutes, it just requires a look at the wiring behind that switch, a look at your fusebox and a couple of quick tests.

Sponsored Links
That switch will be rated above 32 amp. :D

By rights the wiring will be too, almost certainly. But send a picture of the wiring inside (ONLY IF YOU CAN SAFELY DO SO, AND WITH THE POWER OFF) if you want to make sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back