Electric Shock

Sponsored Links
What about the current flowing through you to EARTH and not flowing through the Neutral?
If your only points of contact are Live and Neutral then no current flows to earth. A dry carpet does not provide any path to earth.

No matter how much protection is provided shocks are still possible. The current and duration may be limited by protective devices but even with those limits ( 30 mA and circa 40 mSecs ) the shock can be fatal depending on the points of contact with the body. Or the shock can create a muscle action that results in a fall with subsequent injury.

If your only points of contact are Live and Neutral then no current flows to earth.
As I said, levitating.
Or on insulated ladder or rubber mat.

A dry carpet does not provide any path to earth.
Who said it was a dry carpet.

So, in normal day to day living -
when only a live line conductor is touched does a person feel anything and does an RCD operate?

Sponsored Links
So, in normal day to day living -
when only a live line conductor is touched does a person feel anything and does an RCD operate?

Arrrgh, don't you start we have enough trouble with Mr (?) Cockburn

If you have a modern consumer unit, how is it possible to still get a shock - what wiring faults can bypass the RCD protection? Can faulty appliances give you a shock even if you a have correctly installed circuit with a modern consumer unit? Cheers, S

I will never forget a mate at school telling me how he had once got a shock. We must have been about 10 years old when he told me. Table light (or some other appliance) didn't work but he had seen his dad change a fuse in the plug before. So he unscrews the plug, changes the fuse and decides to try it before screwing the plug back together. Pushes plug in socket, live and neutral pins don't go in with the plug. So left thumb on left pin, right thumb on the other, and push.

Even if they had RCD's in those days he still would have had a shock. Presumably his hands shook free as he was fine afterwards.

SWMBO also told me once about a butter knife which was never the same again after her brother used it to lever out a stuck plug when he was too young to know better.

However, as stated before, if we had touched live and neutral (rather than earth) then the RCCD would not have tripped as the in/out current would have balanced.
Only if you are levitating.

You, too, are thinking CPC rather than earth.

What about the current flowing through you to EARTH and not flowing through the Neutral?

Quite true, I was not making a distinction between CPC and earth.

All things being equal then some current should flow to earth, however, to use the original scenario, one does not need to levitate to end up with no path to earth.

Imagine leaning into the back of a domestic washing machine. It is hard to reach and so one wriggles over the top a little. Feet no longer touching ground and lots of clothing between lip of machine and body. We must all have done something similar at sometime. Arm down : elbow touches neutral no problem until finger tip touches live. No current through heart, or rest of body, but forearm cooked.

It you are TT and PMSL then go green and water saving and wet the earth rod, while standing on a dry carpet in case the the CPC isn't at ground potential until the rod has been wetted. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back