electric shocks from cooker

Sponsored Links
if my hob was doing this and i had sprogs running around. first thing id do is isolate the hob. if your getting a tingle and you find a good earth with your feet, then you will do more than tingle. is it on the rcd side of the board (probably not) i would disconnect the hob and insulation resistance test the circuit. then do a resistance test end to end of cables. if that comes out fine then sounds like time for a new hob. for what they cost, id buy a new one. that mp`s daughter was killed exactly the same thing. metal plate rack was live. she touched it and had her leg on the dish washer door. effectively earthing it out through her body. i cant believe no one has not said to isolate the appliance. good luck.

Spark123 said:
Firstly turn the cooker MCB off at the fuse board. With the multimeter set to ohms range can you measure the resistance from the cooker switch to the cooker chassis?

Spark123 said:
Spark123 said:
Firstly turn the cooker MCB off at the fuse board. With the multimeter set to ohms range can you measure the resistance from the cooker switch to the cooker chassis?

yes my freind, and then you go on to ask him to do other live tests knowing there is a fault. he is therefore putting himself and his family at danger.

Sponsored Links
i measure 230v between neutral and earth on ring circuit????
sorry for delay in feedback been on holliday!

sorry read my meter wrong 50v between neutral and earth on ring circuit,and cooker circuit too,?????? could it be because my house is wired in pme???
do i need to wire it in twin and earth instead of pme?

my house is wired in white plastic type of cable,which ive seen the same cable at wickes diy.which is as i believe pme cable,my mates house is wired in grey coloured cable which he told me is twin and earth? if i changeged to this system would it eliminate the tingling from the cooker?
many thanks

PME means protective multiple earth, it is the way your electricity supply is earthed before it comes into the house. It is not a type of cable.

If yours is a fairly modern house, it quite likely will be PME and there will be a label or plastic plate close to the meter saying so. In this case you should not have more tahn a couple of volts between the Neutral and Earth unless there is a fault.

If your cables are pvc covered, and flattish (not round), then you also have twin and earth. The colour is immaterial.

How old is your house, and how old is the wiring installation? Is it your own, or rented?

What sort of consumer unit/fusebox have you got?

Have you already considered calling in an electrician to help?

best piece of advice and the only one i think you should be following is to switch off the circuit and call in an electrician.

am not tryin to sound offensive but from what you describe you could have a potentially deadly fault on your installation or cooker hob and reading your posts i dont think you have the neccesary knowledge to be confident of sorting the problem out.

ok so the spark might cost you a few quid but if i was you with 2 young kids running about i know what i would be doing.

make sure you get a reputable spark who's a member of a scheme, i.e NICEIC, NAPIT ect.

hi it is a new house only 3 years old looking at fuse box it is a split load board?? as sparks call it ,i have a mainswitch ,cooker,water heater,lights down,lights up,smoke detector,rdc switch ,sockets down,sockets up,and garage??????????????????????????????

If you are getting 50v neutral to earth on your socket circuit as well then the fault is almost certainly going to be something common to the whole system, the best advice is to switch off at the main switch and call in a spark as there is something wrong at the fuse box or before it, it sounds to me like your whole installation might not be earthed.

Sounds to my like a highly resistive connection to neutral upstream from all final circuits.

Just a thought.

RMS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back