Electric Shower Cold Only in Morning

• Thread starter Deleted member 64697
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 64697

I had an electric shower (Triton Ivory III) installed about 2 months ago. Everything was fine until recently. I now only get cold water in the morning but if I try in the evening it works just fine even though I've changed none of the settings (i.e., kept at power selector at economy and the tempature at half way). The power light is on at the unit and the isolating switch. There is no pressure light as part of the unit but the flow looks good.

I've been late for work a few times now as I try different approaches and shower times, and I really need some help.

Can anyone suggest what is happening? Thank you for helping :)

Sponsored Links
Tried it on full instead of eco in the morning?
Does water come out if you have the isolating switch off (as far as I remember triton showers don't do this?)
And the neon lights are definatly on in the morning?

Are you able to get a digital photograph of your distribution board and leccy meter area?

Hi Adam_151! It's great to see a response so quickly :)

Yes, I've tried it on full and tried moving the temp to 10 but still not joy.
No water comes out when the isolating switch is off which is how I think it should work too.
Yes, the neon lights are on in the morning.

(In case it's of interest or in anyway relevant, the switches for my hot water tank are next to the shower switch. There are two switches for the water tank (I assume one is a booster but I don't actually know so I usually turn both switches on). In the morning both lights come on for the water tank but in the evening only one light comes on)

In terms of photo, is the distribution board in the shower?

Your fuse box mate.

And the wiring for the immersion too.

Can you trace the cabling from the back of the shower, thru the isolation switch, and away from the bathroom? There should be no other joints on the cable - eg. timers etc.

Sponsored Links
Hi Steve,

I'm a diy novice - I'm happy with a paintbrush in my hand but that's about it.

I can give you a picture of my fuse box and electric meter box -- I just emailed them to admin@ so they can add the photos to the message.

As for wiring, I'm guessing it's in the attic as I'm in the top flat. There are no lights up there so I can't tell you about the wires as it's too dark.

Does this help in any way???

Thanks!

Thanks Adam! Here goes...

meter.jpg

fusebox.jpg

Cheers for the pics, helps to get a bit more of an idea :)

What rating is your shower by the way?

Those two boards, I'm I right in assuming the top one contains the fuses for the house as a whole (lights, sockets, etc), and the bottom one is for the night storage heaters?

EDIT: theres no more of them anywhere is there?

Which fuse is for the shower?

Hi Adam,

In answer to your questions, it's a 10.5kW rating.
These are the only fuse boxes in the flat, and I have no idea about which fuses relate to which. There is no info against any of them.

If it helps the top fuse values are 5 amps, 5, 15, 30, 30, 30 (and a sticky label says the max should be 60 so has this been exceeded). The bottom one has just two which are both 15 amps (and the max should be 45).

These are probably silly questions and I apologise for that, but it helps to have some knowledge if I have to have an electrician come out. And it always good to learn something new :)

Thank you

Hi Adam,

Just turned off the bottom fuse box and the switches still come on for the shower and the hot water tank so they can't be for that. Right?

Thanks

I'd say someone's bodged the shower onto your off peak supply, but if the lights are on then this cannot be the case.

Is the time switch reading the right time?

Hi Steve,

Your idea would work (wouldn't it) for the water tank switches if one is supposed to be for the off peak and the other for norm.

Where is the time switch? Is it with the meter?

Thanks

under the meter - that black windowed box with a round disc in it. it looks like its reading about 20:30 (little pointer bottom left). What time was the photo taken?

The way to find out - the top fuse box, carry out the following process:

Turn off the main switch. Pull out the rightmost fuse and turn power back on. Go to the shower and see if it will work, and hot.

Repeat this for the other 2 red dot fuses.

If one of these fuses powers the shower you havent got the above problem, as this is the permenant supply.

Time switch still should be right though :LOL:

Time switch first: it's an hour out! It says 22:00 instead of 23:00. How would I change this and does it really matter?

When I turned off the bottom fuse box, the shower still worked (lights and hot water) so doesn't this mean that the top fuse box includes the fuse for the shower? Do I need to find out which fuse in the top box is specifically for the shower?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back