ELectric Shower Fuse

JohnD said:
My extrasensory powers are detecting a burnt-out neutral in the switch ;)
yeah, but i didn't want to have to be the one to tell him he bought a new shower for no reason ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. My old shower was blown alright! Two wires were corroded, presumably due to heat and moisture, so much so the corroded materials got in contact with each other (so I have guessed). It went with a bang and I had had it for 5 years anyway...

I checked again all the fuses in the CU (just the box next to the electricity meter with 7 fuses of diff sizes - not sure if it is called MCB or CU). I have located a 15A fuse which seems to be for no other use, so I reckon it is for the shower. There is no visual burn-out. I swopped it with another fuse (for the garage) and there is still no light on the shower switch where I tried.

So there must be something else. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Gus149.

Gus149 said:
I have located a 15A fuse ...I reckon it is for the shower.

Unlikely. Look for a higher power fuse. Or, perhaps it's a 15A carrier with a much higher fuse wire in it.

1) Find the fuse that has failed. Repair or reset it. Put a durable label to identify this fuse or MCB for the future. You now know why labels are important. Label your other fuses/MCBs as well.

2) If the shower still doesn't work, make sure you have cut the power, then take the shower pull-cord switch off the ceiling and you will probably find it has overheated and the wire burnt through. You will need a new switch. Cut away the heat-damaged part of wire (which will be discoloured). Once overheated it will never again make a proper contact.

If you would like to put up a digital photo of your consumer unit/fusebox and the area around it, we may have other suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately there is no facility for loading photos directly on this forum.
It looks like a new switch is the solution, though I have to admit looking at the switch itself, I did not see any evidence of burning on it.

Guys: thanks anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back