Electric shower keep cutting off

Looks like the best thing to do is get a qualified electrician in and have a look. Was hoping it would be an easy fix.

Sponsored Links
Sure.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but I think it's for the best.

why is there two cables in the downstairs shower mcb ?. The other shower MCB will be to small and most certainly why it is tripping and being overloaded. Cable also could be undersized or border line. It looks like a 4 or 6mm. I would guess you have upgraded the shower and nothing else ?

why is there two cables in the downstairs shower mcb ?. The other shower MCB will be to small and most certainly why it is tripping and being overloaded. Cable also could be undersized or border line. It looks like a 4 or 6mm. I would guess you have upgraded the shower and nothing else ?

Tbh I have no idea what the builder did. When we built an extension for the house he did the wiring and installed this consumer unit, used to a have really old one. The downstairs shower has been working fine ever since. Been 5 years now.

We then redid the upstairs toilet so thought might aswell put a little shower cabinet in the corner with another shower. Got another builder to do that. Since then everyone in the house users the upstairs shower more, then overtime it started cutting out and eventually stopped working all together. Also when somebody was using the upstairs shower for a long periods of time, at first, it would cause the kitchen sockets breaker to fall, then that stopped happening, but instead it would cause the upstairs sockets circuit breaker to fall instead. Since the upstairs shower doesn't even turn on anymore, no one has been using it, but sometimes out if nowhere the upstairs sockets circuit breaker would still fall.

I think these builders didn't do the wiring properly and it just took some time for the problem to show.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I could understand that if the shower MCB had those circuits on either side. Then, there could be heat transfer from the overloaded shower MCB to its neighbours.

But it isn't set up like that.

Check out the size on the cable wired to upstairs, it should be on the insulation sheath if you can find a section. Also check the kw of the shower that is fitted if recent years I would suggest likely to be 10.5kw shower and depending on cable run and method will depend on size required. It is certainly not a 10mm which is the best to use , I am even doubtful it is a 6mm. The MCB have a bio metal strip inside which if overheats / over loads will trip the mcb (doing its job), if you have a 10.5kw that is def your trip problem and cable may need upgrading, if the shower does not even turn on that is another issue, could be a cable has come loose or even burned out somewhere. Could be many other things bit worth getting resolved to use the facility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back