Electric shower + normal shower

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting an ensuite built

Should I get an electric shower?
I looked up the costs - and it seems LESS than the costs of a combi boiler shower?

Someone suggested I get BOTH - one would be a backup for the other
I've got the builders in and they're happy to do both - but should I?

Combi boiler: problem is when someone else runs water - the pressure goes down - which makes a shower a bad experience

Just looking for opinions

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you looked at the costs did you factor in the costs of getting a cable for the electric shower in to the ensuite from the consumer unit?

My option though would be boiler run shower. Hate electric ones

You need to factor in the cost of an electrician and running an electric cable/associated switchgear if you go for an electric shower. Could easily be £300 depending on what needs doing. Having said that, most combi boilers will only run one outlet at once so if you're expecting to have something else running at the same time as your shower then electric may well be the way to go

thanks for the replies guys
the cost of install is already included (in wider work they are doing)
ultimately it's upto me
does that change anything?

Sponsored Links
if it will be your main shower area go boiler if ou will use it once in a way when the other bathroom is full or whatever then electric.

On its own a mixer shower will always give a better showering experience than an electric one as you're putting at least twice the heating power into the water. They also tend to be more reliable long-term. Whichever you go for, remember you get what you pay for - buy cheap, buy twice. Buy an odd brand, struggle to get spares for it. Aqualisa are good

i bought this electric shower: Triton Collection II 9.5kW
god or bad?

How many people in your house? If its just a couple of you then a boiler shower will be OK - you'll know when the other person is in the shower and not to use the water. If you have a family though, with the shower being used a lot in the morning / evening then a boiler shower is likely to cause issues - the heating will stop when the shower is on - and if you have daughters like mine and they are in the shower for ages..... But then, be prepared for your electricity bill to go up. I replaced our electric shower with a contained power shower (we have a hot water tank - not a combi) and the bill was significantly reduced.

Family of 5 - 3 little ones - 12 7 and 3 :)
I'm waiting for the problems mentioned. LOL.
Right now: it's a problem
My shower time = washing up time for the wife downstairs. She waits for me and gets me everytime

Have you ever heard of 2 showers in one like I mentioned?

With a combi boiler, things will only get worse - maybe you should consider changing the heating system so you can have stored hot water.

Not a 2 in one - I think your builder was suggesting 2 separate showers, one of each.

A "spare" electric shower is useful for when your boiler packs up and you can't find anyone to fix it because it's a bank holiday.
My bathroom - not fitted by me! - has an electric shower over one end of the bath and a mixer one (connected to the taps) at the other end. Slight snag is that a huge beam in the ceiling makes the latter rather useless, but apart from that it's a useful arrangement.

As above, if you've got that many in the house I'd be finding somewhere to put a hot water cylinder.

I'd still have gone for Aqualisa over Triton

Its good to have an electric one for backup in case the boiler breaks down.

9.5kw is adequate, make sure the wiring is to spec.

Triton will only last about 5 years on average, thats why i pick one one in the sales at £75 a pop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back