electric shower off lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have bought a 8.5kw electric shower and it is not very easy to take the cable to the fuse board is it it ok to spur of a live feed in the loft from the lighting circuits via a brown junction box from B and Q as i dont want to takeup florr boards. please reply asap

+++++++++++++++++++
Moderator's note:

Ha ha ha, this is another windup.

Mod Rupert

+++++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I can believe this to be a serious question. 8.5 kw is equivalent to a current draw of about 36 Amps, so needs to be on its own RCD protected circuit fed by at least a 6mm cable with a 40Amp MCB a double pole switch and supplementarily bonded throughout the bathroom. It's a special location within the terms of the law etc etc.

If you're serious it's not a DIY job for you to do - get an electrician or get dead - you choose.

Sponsored Links
You're having a laugh or it's a wind up - I hope!!!!

If it isn't a wind up what you have done is frankly stupid, dangerous and in breach of building regulations!!!

And just to explain in simple terms why it is very dangerous.

The cable used for lighting is not capable of carrying the amount of power for the heater in the shower. The cable in the loft and in the walls will get get hot if it was allowed to carry that much current. Just like the wire in a heater or a toaster gets hot.

That is why there is that little thing called a fuse that clicks the power off if there is more current than the cables can safely carry.

The instructions supplied that say own cable direct to consumer unti are there for a reason. To keep death out of the shower and fire out of the loft.

Part p is working well isnt it :LOL:

Just what we expected :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I like coming on here just for the laughs :!: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back