Electric Shower Pull Cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I start, please be patient with me as I am a complete DIY beginner and am at my wits end!

The pull cord for my electric shower is stuck and won't turn on. I'm not sure what to do or where to start. What should I do?

Thanks in advance
Catherine

Sponsored Links
Obtain a replacement, isolate the circuit and swap it, make sure you cut the melted cable back and nip up the terminals properly (unlike the last fellow ;) )

Do you use you switch to switch on the shower before you get in it ?

If yes, you have more than likely melted the contacts.
The switch is designed for OFF load switching and not ON load switching.
Replace the switch is the only answer.

If no, then it could just be general failure of the switch mechanism, again replacing switch is the answer.

When you obtain a replacement, use a good brand such as MK or Crabtree. Spend more than £10. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your answers so far and please excuse my ignorance!

I don't usually even turn the switch off (don't know whether this is the right thing to do or not, I have been told different things by different people), I had a sudden energy saving flash and just switched it off last night.

We had the electricity off yesterday as we were having a new light fitting put up in the living room. Could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks
Catherine

If the switch wont pull and click, the mechanism is goosed. Nothing to do with your living room light.

The correct way to use a shower pull switch is to have it off whenever the shower is not being used.

But DO NOT switch it on or off under load - the shower should be off when you use the switch.

We dont use ours at all. Ever. Its wired backwards anyway, so the little neon is always on. :LOL: Turning it off has very little energy saving value.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back