Electric shower question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to install an electric shower of 9.5kw. What capacity fuse do you think I would need to prevent the fuse from blowing? Right now I have a shower of 8.5kw and we're using a 30Amp fuse. It blows after about 10 minutes. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
at 8500W, you are pulling 37A + losses through the cable so a 40A MCB / fuse should be okay.

at 9.5kW you will be pulling 41.3A + losses through the cable so you will need a 50A.

Just for your information, you can work out the amp rating using this formula

Power = Current x Volts

where P is in Watts, Current in Amps and Volts in Volts. You need to allow a little as the current drawn is usually higher when the appliance starts up as everything is cold and its resitance is a little lower (hence more current draw) . Also you will lose some power through the cable.

Before you up the fuse size it is vital you check the size of the cable is adequate to carry the aditional current.

Sponsored Links
And don't forget while you're at it to check the isolator is rated at 45A, the CU can take the increased load without toasting, and your main fuse is bigger than 60A, and the tails are beefy enough.

You might also consider getting the supplementary bonding in the bathroom up to scratch, too.

Lots of things to consider, not just the protective device size......

Spark123 said:
Before you up the fuse size it is vital you check the size of the cable is adequate to carry the aditional current.
When checking this, remember that the current carrying capacity of the cable varies according to where (in what) it runs, and whether it is bunched with other cables.

Also if it is too long its resistance will be too high for the MCB to trip quickly enough if there is a fault.

securespark said:
Lots of things to consider, not just the protective device size......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back