Electric shower recommendations

As has been said, given that the Laws of Physics are the same for any electric shower, there cannot be any significant difference in 'performance' (flow rate for a given temp) in the cheaopest and mot expensive ones - and I also doubt that the expensive ones offer much advantage, if any, in terms of reliability or life expectancy. I therefore personally would always go for the bottom end of the (price) market.

The biggest disadvantage of a basic electric shower is the difficulty of setting the temperature, especially if the water pressure can be variable. The more expensive ones automatically control the temperature by adjusting the flow if necessary, but mainly by controlling the power to the element. I certainly would not quite find it as enjoyably using a basic shower.

The model you mention includes the 'feature' (gimmick?) of injecting air bubbles into the spray. Some may regard that feature as beneficial. I'm not sure that I necessarily do, and I certainly would not pay an extra ~£100 for it.

The other issue that people complain about is the lack of power of the shower, a limitation of the Kw power available to heat the water fast enough for a decent flow. Whilst I find my shower to be perfectly adequate, I can see how adding air in would give the impression of a more luxurious shower, but using no more water - so I wouldn't discount such a thing as just a 'gimmick', without having tried one. Adding an airiator to an ordinary tap seems to work quite well and they do save water.

Sponsored Links
The model you mention includes the 'feature' (gimmick?) of injecting air bubbles into the spray. Some may regard that feature as beneficial. I'm not sure that I necessarily do, and I certainly would not pay an extra ~£100 for it.
I was waiting for your comment, John ;)

My personal experience is that it does make a difference. You, and others, may have a different perception. However I would suggest trying it before dismissing it.

The biggest disadvantage of a basic electric shower is the difficulty of setting the temperature, especially if the water pressure can be variable. The more expensive ones automatically control the temperature by adjusting the flow if necessary, but mainly by controlling the power to the element. I certainly would not quite find it as enjoyably using a basic shower.
I think that (as mentioned by flameport) only the most expensive ones 'control the power to the element(s)', and I would have thought that adding 'pressure stabilisation' should not add majorly to cost.
The other issue that people complain about is the lack of power of the shower, a limitation of the Kw power available to heat the water fast enough for a decent flow.
That's obviously the issue that we have been discussing throughout most of this thread.
Whilst I find my shower to be perfectly adequate, I can see how adding air in would give the impression of a more luxurious shower, but using no more water - so I wouldn't discount such a thing as just a 'gimmick', without having tried one....
I didn't 'discount it' but, rather, acknowledged that some people would find that a beneficial feature. However, I also said that I doubted that I would be prepared to pay ~£100 for it.

In a similar vein (to 'aeriation'), I previously pointed out that water velocity is at least as important topmost people as flow rate. My late FIL had an electric shower, and we changed his perception of it from being 'pathetic' to 'fantastic' simply by changing teh shower head to one which gave much higher velocity jets of water for the same flow rate!

Having said all that, I admit that UI have never had electric shows other than as a (hardly ever used) backup in the event of failure of the DHW or of mixer showers themselves - so I'm personally not really very concerned about how 'good' they are!

Kind Regards, John

A lot is down to 'personal choice', particularly in relation to aesthetics, so one has to decide how much extra one is prepared to pay for things other than 'performance'.

If all one has (I am not in that situation), is an electric shower, then I would hope it was a decent, effective one.

Sponsored Links
I was waiting for your comment, John ;) My personal experience is that it does make a difference. You, and others, may have a different perception. However I would suggest trying it before dismissing it.
Aas I recently wrote to Harry, I didn't 'dismiss' it (not the leadt because I hadn't tried it) but, on the contrary, acknowledged that some people might regard it ass a welcome feature.

However, as I said, if I did try it, I would probably have to regard it as an extremely welcome feature before I felt that it was worth ~£100 :)

Kind Regards, John

If all one has (I am not in that situation), is an electric shower, then I would hope it was a decent, effective one.
Yes, if I were in that situation) I might well feel that way - but, like you, that fortunately is not my situation!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back