Electric shower removed - what to do with wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had our electric shower replaced with a mixer one coming off the combi boiler.

The plumber said they'd sort out the old wiring but I'm assuming it shouldn't look like this...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gjLaWTayaQFEQLf47

The circuit is off at the DB and the shower cord is off but wouldn't take much to have a live wire at face level. What should I do with this wire? Hoping it could be kept in case we ever want another electric shower.

Sponsored Links
Or, you could put the end of a cable into a surface mounted pattress box, fit large connector blocks on each wire, and fit a blanking plate.

Pattress box gets fixed to the wall, btw.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Are you able to disconnect (safely) from pull cord/rocker switch?

Sponsored Links
Or, you could put the end of a cable into a surface mounted pattress box, fit large connector blocks on each wire, and fit a blanking plate.

Pattress box gets fixed to the wall, btw.

Thanks - this sounds like a plan and it'll keep the wires in an obvious place.

Another thought was the pull cord. Could I do the same with that and put a blanking plate (do they exist) where the cord was? Leaving the box?

Are you able to disconnect (safely) from pull cord/rocker switch?

That was another thought. Would I take off the pull cord, fit connector blocks then put a blank plate over the box (or remove box entirely)?

If you have a loft above, you can remove the pull switch, and pull the feed cable into the loft, and make safe.

You could then remove the cable between the pull switch and the shower position.

It's possible you could fit a 13amp socket to the end of the cable, and have it in the loft or in a nearby cupboard, or whatever.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back