Electric shower tripped electric now won't heat (much)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Having a bad day today, first my alarm never went off this morning so I overslept... now the shower seems to be bust...

Switched it on this morning and water came out for a second then it just went off.... can't remember if there was any sound as was half asleep, think there might have been a "pop" but not sure....

Switched everything off and reset the tripped out circuit breaker (?) and then switched back on... water started to come out again but wasn't very hot... turned it up to the highest setting and whilst it wasn't freezing cold, it wasn't anywhere near hot, luke warm at best on the very highest setting....

Anyone got a clue what might be wrong and if its a repair job or a straight swap for a new one....

No idea how old the unit is, was in house when we moved in in 2006 but good chance its been there a good while.

I'm guessing if it needs new parts then £60 for a new one is a better option but if its just a small tweak then it may be fixable...

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks kevplumb.... thats what I first thought (in a less knowledgeable way)...

Have just read on another forum "Forgetting about the temperature turn the shower from fully hot to fully cold at fully hot you should have not much more than a dribble coming from the hose and on fully cold you should have a good strong flow, if you do not have this difference then you may have a faulty flow/stabilizer valve "

Well when I had it on max temp the water was still decent.... so in your opinion do you think it could be the stab valve....

We're talking the difference between a £25 part (stab valve) and a new shower which costs the same as replacing the can assembly. :eek:

Cheers

Sponsored Links
as kev said make/model.

a stab valve won't trip the shower out its something electrical to trip it.
as kev said it's most common a element has failed.

have you got a multi meter ?

Its a Triton T80i

this one the early one ?

t80i-electric.jpg

Sorry, just edited my post above but you replied while I was editing... I think is must be the T80Si...

Thank very much for the help both of you, much appreciated.

I think on reflection i'm just going to get a new shower... £65 with a 2 year warranty rather than all of the effort diagnosing the problem, new parts which could be £30 or could be £65 (plus buying a mulitmeter)... and then something else could go wrong with it in a month or a year then it will be more expense....

I think a new unit is for the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back