Electric sign off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm going to be having my garage converted into a kitchen and I want to put in a ring main, lighting, cooker circuit etc and I want to do it myself. I believe the council can come and inspect it at 1st fix and completion , so that I can get the relevant paperwork to sign it off. Can I get a qualified electrician to inspect and test it just like the council would do, as I take it the council sub contract it out to an electrical firm?

Sponsored Links
Electricians who are members of competent person schemes such as the NICEIC DI, NAPIT, ECA etc are only meant to sign off their own work with regards to the building regulations, if you are wanting to do it yourself then you need to go through your LABC (unless you can find an electrician willing to put their head on the block)

1. You need to check with your council what their attitude to, and charges for, DIY electrical work are, and what they want done by whom regarding testing. Take care what you put on your Building Regulations approval request about the way you'll comply with Part P.

2. You can get an electrician yourself to inspect and test it, but he won't be able to issue an EIC, and he won't be able to certify compliance with the Building Regulations. You could probably get a PIR, but that'll be no use to you if it's not what the council want.

3. Why do you want a ring final? In your considered opinion is it the most appropriate design?

4. For a circuit to supply a given load, how would you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use?

5. Do you know what the two main lighting circuit topologies are, and what the advantages and disadvantages of each are?

6. Do you understand how the way in which you install cables affects how much current they can carry?

7. What are the rules concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors?

8. Which circuits should be RCD protected?

Sponsored Links
I have spoke to the council and they have said that they can send someone round to test and inspect at 1st fix and completion, if I do it myself, which looks the best option now. As it seems they will not accept any electricians word or paperwork, they just use one company. I just don't understand what the difference is in them testing it and signing it off, to any other electrician that's registered with all the correct certification testing it and signing it off. Seems like a council money making scheme to me.
Ban all sheds.. I thought I would put the kitchen socket circuit separate due to all the appliances and I have a few spare ways in my box. I was going to use 32a breaker and 2.5mm cable for the ring. Cables have ratings that can be looked up in the wiring regulations and there is certain calculations you can do taking into account length of cable, size and how its buried ie in a wall or conduit etc which helps you to find what size cable you need depending on the load you wish to apply. The breaker is there to protect the cable. Thanks for your help .

I just don't understand what the difference is in them testing it and signing it off, to any other electrician that's registered with all the correct certification testing it and signing it off. Seems like a council money making scheme to me.

Registered electricians are only permitted to self notify work that they have done themselves.

If you do the work, they cannot notify their registration body that they did the work and that it complies with Building Regulations. They will only make that commitment if they are in control of the work.

Electricians who are members of competent person schemes such as the NICEIC DI, NAPIT, ECA etc are only meant to sign off their own work with regards to the building regulations, if you are wanting to do it yourself then you need to go through your LABC (unless you can find an electrician willing to put their head on the block)

So how is going through Building control and having them send out an electrical contractor who will be a registered member of one of the schemes, any different to employing your own electrician to carry out the exact same inspections and tests.

So how is going through Building control and having them send out an electrical contractor who will be a registered member of one of the schemes, any different to employing your own electrician to carry out the exact same inspections and tests.

Presumably because BC have at least some level of control over the contractor, and can be assured that they aren't knowingly allowing every tom, dick and harry who's a member of a self-certification scheme to certify work without carrying out the proper tests, in order to make a quick buck.

I'm a DIY'er who has done alot of electrical work to my own houses in years gone by. I try to read as much as I can to keep abreast of changes in the law even tackling the 17th edition. I was aware that to do the work I need to do to my new house (a 1930's semi) I had to copmply with part P of building regs and applied and paid £150 for Building regs to come and inspect and sign off my work. My feelings towards it now, nearly two years on as I am doing a full rewire as I go around the house is the new regulation whilst no doubt worth while are arduous for the average DIYer and I wouls advise you to approach a local qualified sparky and discuss all your plans and tell him/her you want to do as much of the grunt work yoursel, and why not I love doing this stuff, but could he/she work with you at all stages so you do not fall foul. I tnis way they can sigh off. I feel you are veryluck that your council is prepared to do what they are doing. My council insist I test the who system myself and provide the readings so I trying my damdest to teach myself. Good luck anyway.

I thought I would put the kitchen socket circuit separate due to all the appliances and I have a few spare ways in my box. I was going to use 32a breaker and 2.5mm cable for the ring.
My question was why a ring, not why a separate circuit, i.e. nn your considered opinion is a ring final more appropriate than a radial for this circuit?

Cables have ratings that can be looked up in the wiring regulations and there is certain calculations you can do taking into account length of cable, size and how its buried ie in a wall or conduit etc which helps you to find what size cable you need depending on the load you wish to apply.
Do you have that information, and details of the calculations to be done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back