Electric Towel Rail Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I intend to fit an electric towel rail into a dressing room that contains an alcove shower (three solid walls and one sliding glass door into the dressing room).

My first query is regarding the bathroom zones of a tightly contained shower in an alcove... do the usual zones apply? I cannot find any resources online that specifically talk about alcove showers.

Assuming that bathroom zones are applicable in this area, this work will then be covered by part p, and I will notify building control and carry out the first fix ready for their inspection and subsequent testing after fixing.

The ideal position for the rail will be in zone 2, within 0.6m of the entrance to the alcove. I will look for a heating element of IPX4 or better for this site. My problem is what to do with the loose end of the flex from the heating element... There is no where in the room that is more than 3m from zone 1, so as I understand it I cannot use a standard flex outlet plate.

I wonder if I can pass the flex from the heater element as a single run through the hole in a flex plate (bypassing the connections) and then directly into plastic trunking (to be recessed in the wall) to be connected to a suitable junction box under the floor? That could prove to be a problem if the heating element needs replacing (I am assuming the connections of the flex to the element are moulded, necesitating replacement of cable and element at the same time???).

Alternatively is the underside of a shower with upstands considered a safe place to site a terminal box and make such connections (this seams to be the same as under the bath, as this would require tools to access... but perhaps more prone to water ingress!). Are there any types of junction boxes that can be used in zone 2, or is it acceptable to construct a watertight box to house a standard flex plate that could only be opened with tools?

I intend to bring power to the final junction box by spurring the mains ring via a heavy duty junction box, passing the spur through a fused rcd unit, followed by a timer unit (in that order) both to be sited in a cupboard outside the dressing room. Having recently spotted an RCD on the consumer unit, I now believe the RCD on the spur to be unnecessary????

Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions or observations....

Regards,

Peter.

Sponsored Links
the flex outlet plate can be in zone 2 as long as it is just that, a flex outlet plate.. no switches allowed..
that ( as far as I read it anyway ) does not preclude the use of fused spurs as long as they are not switched..

it does say that it needs to be IPx4 though... so good luck finding one of those...

I've used an IP rated switched fused spur in a situation very similar to yours.

The safe side is always the best side to stick to in my experience.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses so far....

So far I have found an IP66 junction box suitable for external use, which I guess will be in excess of of the IPx4 required - it isnt very pretty though!

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WK108B.html

No joy whatsoever in finding a flex outlet with IPx4 rating aimed for internal use...

Click-Sure, did you fit that unit after Part P came in? Would appreciate any pointers towards finding a suitable outlet...

ColJack, I wonder if a switch is acceptable if the unit has the appropriate IPx4 or better rating?

fit one of these and silicone round it..
it's about as waterproof as you'll need...

nothing that screws onto a wall without a seal will be IPx4.. because the water can get between the wall and the frontplate..

Hi Zambezi ... the site for the towel rail has the door to the bathroom on one side, and the alcove for the shower on the other. If the cable is brought from outside of zone 2, then it has to go all round the door frame which will look a bit clumsy. I also dont think you are not allowed a non IP rated item like a flex plate within 3m of zone 1 - unless I misunderstood something.

ColJack - do you think I will get away with a home made IPx4 attachment - I think they might "fail" me on that????

it's a mix of regs.. ( and paraphrasing here... )

reg 701.512.2 - IPX4 ( or better ) in zones 1 and 2 ( doesn't apply to shaver sockets to the relevant BS standard in zone 2 where direct spray from the shower is unlikely )

reg 701.512.3 - no socket outlets within 3M of zone 1 ( again except shaver sockets to BS EN 61558-2-5, or SELV sockets complying with section 414 )

no switchgear, accessories incorporating switches or socket-outlets in zone 2

since it's neither a socket or switchgear, and has no switch then it complies with 701.512.3

it's the IPX4 bit you need to contend with.
since it's solid on 3 sides and only has a small pull out for the cable in the bottom of it, if you seal it against the wall then I'd recon it's pretty much splashproof..

judges? your vote please?

No joy whatsoever in finding a flex outlet with IPx4 rating aimed for internal use...
Get a flex outlet with a bottom exit - run a bead of silicone around the edge of the cover and around the cable/exit hole before you screw it into place.

that's what i said 4 posts ago...
minus the "seal round the cable" part as I think it best to leave an exit for any water that does manage to get in.. it doesn't need to be water tight, just splash proof..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back