Electric UFH without thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Was wondering if anyone can give any advise here please? We are installing electric underfloor heating into a bay window situation which is about 2m square. We want to ideally install this without the provision of a a thermostat. Is it possible and advisable to install such without a thermostat. Ideally, we would want it on a fused spur with a switch which we can just turn on and off when necessary. I am considered that if there is no thermostat then it will run at maximum temperature all of the time and not sure whether this is a 'safety' issue?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Self regulating cable does not need a thermostat as the material used in the cable determines how much power is needed at every point along the cable.

A reasonable write up is here https://www.traceheating-cables.co.uk/self-regulating-technology.html

There are various companies that use self regulation cable for UFH systems.

It is more expensive than ordinary UFH cable but far better in operation, for example it will not create hot areas under mats where the thermal insulation of the mat can prevent the heat from reaching the room.

Hi Bernard

Many thanks for your rely. I am. to take it that we should be laying the self regulating cable throughout the area we want heated and this will not require the use of a thermostat? In our case, we have already laid an off the shelf heating mat into the area although the system has yet to be connected. I was therefore wondering whether we can still use that same mat system to connect to a fuse spur and without a thermostat?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back