Electric Underfloor heating in Conservatory.

It sounds as if that is essentially what the OP plans to do - hence the possible/probable potential planning and BC implications.

Kind Regards, John
Putting a solid/insulated roof on an existing conservatory requires planning permission.

Sponsored Links
Putting a solid/insulated roof on an existing conservatory requires planning permission.
That's what I was getting at.

However, although I'm far from authority on such things, I think it's more complicated (maybe 'not so bad') as that. As I understand it, even if it were a 'proper extension' of the same volume as a conservatory, it would probably not require planning permission. However, what may well be more relevant is that the Building Regs requirements (as regards insulation etc.) might well be very different in relation to a 'habitable room' than a 'conservatory'. I'm sure that someone here will know the answers!

Kind Regards, John

That's what I was getting at.

However, although I'm far from authority on such things, I think it's more complicated (maybe 'not so bad') as that. As I understand it, even if it were a 'proper extension' of the same volume as a conservatory, it would probably not require planning permission. However, what may well be more relevant is that the Building Regs requirements (as regards insulation etc.) might well be very different in relation to a 'habitable room' than a 'conservatory'. I'm sure that someone here will know the answers!

Kind Regards, John
A conservatory is [generally] exempt from planning permission on the basis that it is not a habitable room, not insulated, not central heated and not part of the main body of the residence. This is much simplified. I have limited experience too but my daughter purchased a house a few years back and the last threee of those had been compromised by the vendor, getting the sale past the conveyansor took a lot of time and effort and for the venndor cost.

A conservatory is [generally] exempt from planning permission on the basis that it is not a habitable room, not insulated, not central heated and not part of the main body of the residence. This is much simplified. I have limited experience too ...
I thought that the exemption from planning permission for extensions was on the basis of the volume of the extension (in comparison with the original volume of the building), and hence applied, for example to most loft extensions, even though they usually contain 'habitable rooms' - is that not the case?

However, as I said, I thing Building Regs might be much more of an issue - since a 'true conservatory' probably does not have anything like as much in the way of requirements than do habitable rooms. Again, is that not the case?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
We are using the existing brickwork and base just all the framework and roof being replaced. We are keeping a door between the lounge and the conservatory. We just want one we can use all year round as at the moment it cold in winter and to hot it summer as its south facing. Anyway have decided against the underfloor heat and will be going for a Wall mounted one.

I thought that the exemption from planning permission for extensions was on the basis of the volume of the extension (in comparison with the original volume of the building), and hence applied, for example to most loft extensions, even though they usually contain 'habitable rooms' - is that not the case?

However, as I said, I thing Building Regs might be much more of an issue - since a 'true conservatory' probably does not have anything like as much in the way of requirements than do habitable rooms. Again, is that not the case?

Kind Regards, John
Nothing is clear cut these days.

In 1985 lots of regulations were removed and you are correct planning permission [and building regs] were not required if every box on the enquiry form was 'NO', however due the amount of dangerous construction work botched [mostly] by DIYers more control has been dribbled back in.
Conservatories are not classed as structural or habitable and therefore nowhere near as many boxes to tick 'NO'.

In 1985 lots of regulations were removed and you are correct planning permission [and building regs] were not required if every box on the enquiry form was 'NO', however due the amount of dangerous construction work botched [mostly] by DIYers more control has been dribbled back in. Conservatories are not classed as structural or habitable and therefore nowhere near as many boxes to tick 'NO'.
As I've been saying, I fully accept that in relation to Building Regs, but I was not aware of any changes in relation to Planning Permission - have I missed that? [ after all, 'dangerous construction work' has nothing to do with planning permission, does it? ]

Kind Regards, John

As I've been saying, I fully accept that in relation to Building Regs, but I was not aware of any changes in relation to Planning Permission - have I missed that? [ after all, 'dangerous construction work' has nothing to do with planning permission, does it? ]

Kind Regards, John
It's more to do with the lack of inspection when no reg or permission are required. Knocking a new opening through needs to have a lintel installed for example and I've seen a 900mm reinforced lintel fitted over a 2ft6 door

It's more to do with the lack of inspection when no reg or permission are required. Knocking a new opening through needs to have a lintel installed for example and I've seen a 900mm reinforced lintel fitted over a 2ft6 door
You're still talking of Building Regs - Planning Permission has no interest in the sort of issues you mention.

Kind Regards, John

You're still talking of Building Regs - Planning Permission has no interest in the sort of issues you mention.

Kind Regards, John
Agreed my example relates to regs but they go hand in hand, regs makes sure it's performed properly and is not interested in appearence/size etc, permission will see to the rest.

Sometimes 2 different inspectors, usually not.

Agreed my example relates to regs but they go hand in hand, regs makes sure it's performed properly and is not interested in appearence/size etc, permission will see to the rest.
I'm still a bit confused. If an extension is excempt from the need for planning permission by virtue of its size and position, I don't see why planners should be involved at all, other than to confirm that it does satisfy the requirements for exemption. However, as I said, I really don't know the current situation - it's literally decades since I last had any involvement with planners. However, looking around, it seems that things haven't changed much - for example ....

You can build certain types of structure without applying for Planning Permission because of ‘permitted development rights’ which are granted by Parliament.
..... You can build a conservatory or single-storey extension without planning permission if:

• It is a maximum height of 4m high or 3m high (if within 2m of a boundary).
  • The conservatory does not cover more than half the garden.
  • The roof ridge or top point is not higher than the eaves of a property’s roof.
  • Side extensions do not extend beyond half the width of the house.
According to the UK Government's planning authority, an extension (such as a conservatory) can be built under ‘permitted development’ if:
  • No more than half the area of land around the original house* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
  • Extensions of more than one storey must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than 3m or be within 7m of any boundary opposite the rear wall of the house.
  • A single-storey rear extension does NOT extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than 8m if a detached house or 6m if an attached house.
  • No extension is further forward than the principal elevation or side elevation which fronts a highway.
  • No extension is higher than the highest part of the roof of the original house*.
  • The maximum height of the single-storey rear extension is 4m.
  • The maximum height for the eaves of an extension must be within 2m of the boundary of 3m.
  • The maximum eaves and ridge height of an extension must be no higher than existing house.
  • A side extension is single storey and a maximum height of 4m and width no more than half that of the original house*
  • The roof pitch of an extension higher than one storey matches the existing house.
  • There are no verandas, balconies or raised platforms.

Kind Regards, John

Newbie thoughts. You guys just really helped me out on a question and I like to try and reciprocate

We put it in a conservatory. Thermonet was the brand. Only 400w and it worked very well for background heat, but not enough on its own.
We have wall panel heaters too. In winter, even with wall heaters the floor will be like ice. We found that with the floor off, (e.g. just come back from holiday) we just didn't use the room.

Our conservatory was built with thick insulation under the concrete slab, and I imagine without this it won't work anywhere near as well, as the system turns your entire floor slab into a heater. Without the insulation, the earth will rob too much energy. No point in having a timer, it reacts too slowly, and of course changing a temp takes more energy that maintaining a temp. So ours was set to be on 24/7.

The thing that caused the most arguments is the thermostat setting. Ours had a thermocouple buried in the floor, and so it operates on the basis of surface temperature of the floor, and not the air temperature of the room. So setting it to 18 Deg was just telling the system to make the floor to be room temperature, and it did nothing. It was set to 35 deg usually. With the wall panel heaters was very comfortable.

If we were to do it again, I'd never have a conservatory with a glass roof. Too hot in summer, too cold in winter, PITA to clean. Apparently orangeries are the way to go now.

No point in having a timer, it reacts too slowly, and of course changing a temp takes more energy that maintaining a temp. So ours was set to be on 24/7.
And that of course is the major problem with underfloor heating. Having it on 24/7 when the room is used for, say, six hours a day. Extremely wasteful.

Newbie thoughts. You guys just really helped me out on a question and I like to try and reciprocate

We put it in a conservatory. Thermonet was the brand. Only 400w and it worked very well for background heat, but not enough on its own.
We have wall panel heaters too. In winter, even with wall heaters the floor will be like ice. We found that with the floor off, (e.g. just come back from holiday) we just didn't use the room.

Our conservatory was built with thick insulation under the concrete slab, and I imagine without this it won't work anywhere near as well, as the system turns your entire floor slab into a heater. Without the insulation, the earth will rob too much energy. No point in having a timer, it reacts too slowly, and of course changing a temp takes more energy that maintaining a temp. So ours was set to be on 24/7.

The thing that caused the most arguments is the thermostat setting. Ours had a thermocouple buried in the floor, and so it operates on the basis of surface temperature of the floor, and not the air temperature of the room. So setting it to 18 Deg was just telling the system to make the floor to be room temperature, and it did nothing. It was set to 35 deg usually. With the wall panel heaters was very comfortable.

If we were to do it again, I'd never have a conservatory with a glass roof. Too hot in summer, too cold in winter, PITA to clean. Apparently orangeries are the way to go now.
Hi
Thanks for the info glad I posted the question as was very close to saying yes to the underfloor heating. With the solid roof with the extra insulation I am hoping we will be able to use ours all year round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back