Electric underfloor versus gas combi standard radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Opinions?

Has it gotten to a point yet where electric underfloor heating is better economically than a combi-radiator set up?

I'm thinking about ripping up the old boards here and relaying flooring grade chipboard with a nice engineered or laminate on top, insulating between the joists with rockwall as I go- and why not remove the radiators while I'm at it and fit some underfloor heating instead.

Sponsored Links
have a look at your latest gas and electricity bills.

I expect you will find that, like mine, your energy from electricity costs between four and five times as much as energy from gas.

Genius response. Guess that's it then time to go and stare at the wall

Johns right when he says that electric costs more than gas, so will put your bills up, but UFH is supposed to be more efficient to run, so would it. I have no experience to help you with here Hawkeye, only to ask why you you haven't thought about taking out the rads, and installing a wet UFH system instead of electric.

Why are you ripping up the floorboards. If it was to put in the rockwall, I've done that by lifiting every 6th board, and pushing it under from either side.

Sponsored Links
if its electric as opposed to gas then the electric will always be about 3xthe running costs
if it a ok insulated house then gas will perhaps cost 20% MORE in underfloor compared to radiators due to time lag requiring heating on earlier to warm the room indirectly
if your house is poorly insulated to ok insulated then electrical underfloor will be 4 to 5 times as much for the same comfort level
electric heating is 95-100% efficient so any claims off "less cost" or "lower running costs" means lower heat output so in general far less efficient

but UFH is supposed to be more efficient to run,

It can be efficient but only if the building has been designed to be heated by UFH. Retro fitting UFH into an existing builid or fitting as an afterthought into a new build seldom if ever is as efficient as is claimed. The eficiency achieved is also affected by the life style of the people living in the house. If they have the same routine each day then the warm up and cool down periods ( of the thermal mass of the floor ) can be planned into the start and stop times for the heating. People who have UFH and no fixed routine will find it hard to have a comfortably heated home and cost efficient heating.

It can be efficient but only if the building has been designed to be heated by UFH. Retro fitting UFH into an existing builid or fitting as an afterthought into a new build seldom if ever is as efficient as is claimed. The eficiency achieved is also affected by the life style of the people living in the house. If they have the same routine each day then the warm up and cool down periods ( of the thermal mass of the floor ) can be planned into the start and stop times for the heating. People who have UFH and no fixed routine will find it hard to have a comfortably heated home and cost efficient heating.
Thanks Bernard.
In that case, is there a website or similar information source (even a human!) where we could plug in some numbers, and get a likely cost comparison?

is there a website or similar information source (even a human!) where we could plug in some numbers,
There are so many variables that getting a realistic comparison of gas versus electric for UFH in a particular house and life style would be difficult. The basic rule appears to be that gas heated UFH will in almost every case be cheaper to run, but installation costs for gas heated wet UFH will be higher than the installation costs of a basic electric UFH system.

and why not remove the radiators while I'm at it and fit some underfloor heating instead.

Why not ? because retro-fitted UFH, be it gas or electric, may not provide adequate heating in your building.

Ok well this is a 2 bedroom ground floor flat so I think any improvements would have an impact on the energy rating. It is a relatively small 1930s flat and so should be cheap to run but something just popped through the door recently from the energy supplier stating an an increase in both gas and electric in the region of 20%, and another increase planned the year after and the year after that. In 3 years time this will mean outgoings of over £1000 on gas and electric for a small 2 bedroom flat. All the government do is refer people to price comparison websites rather than tackle the issue head on.

Wet UFH I won't be doing as I don't like the sound of what's involved by those here. Electric UFH still sounds much like a novelty, which is surprising really given all the technological advances there 'appear' to be. It's been around long enough to be more than a novelty.

Trouble is it's an american white oak solid floor secret nailed, so insulation is not easy, and I've posted here before asking about what to do with the floor and never went anywhere with it.

I'd prefer to keep it, but it's squeaks like fukc and there doesn't appear to be any solution to this that's actually workable.

Seems a more workable solution would be to rip out the entire floor room by room, fit rockwall (joists are 400 centres), lay and screw FG Chipboard or ply or whatever such suitable panelboard, lay on top 5mm standard laminate floor underlay and then lay a standard laminate or engineered board.

I wouldn't even need to remove the skirting, just cover the expansion gap with standard trim.

Then would come replacing front/back doors with properly sealed ones, perhaps with thermal layers built into them. Cavity wall insulation, but this would require the consent of other flat owners so left until last.

One of my neighbours has UFH which resulted in the phthalate plasticizers in floor mats leaching out and making indelible marks on the expensive timber floor ( memory jogged by meeting him while out walking this morning )

Sponsored Links
Back