electrical advice..connecting a new ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello...not the best with lighting or electrics so need a bit of advice.

have removed the light fitting at the top of the stairs + can't work out the correct way to reconnect the new fitting...

I have 3 sets of cable coming out of the ceiling (each 1 live/1 neutral)...
There is a switch at the top of the stairs & one at the bottom...
I've reconnected using blocks + it must be wrong as a light in another room has now stopped working (along with this one not working)...

How do I find the correct reconnection for this light?

many thanks for advice

Sponsored Links
thanks...slightly confused now....thinking I should have 4 wires coming out of the ceiling (upstairs switch, downstairs switch, supply + supply to next)...

no multimeter so some trial & error required tomorrow I think.

thanks

Nope. You'll probably have loop in & out, and wire to switch 1, then switch 1 will be linked to switch 2.

It is not unknown to have switch wires jointed at the luminaire position, but unlikely.

Depending on the age of the wiring, you may have a twin & earth from the rose to the switch & then a 3 core & earth between switches, or you may have a single wire from the rose to the switch (switched live), a twin & earth between switches & a feed looped to the common of the other switch from another location.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back