Electrical appliance - under stairs ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to site a small freezer (H86cmxW55cmXD60cm) in an understairs cupboard, to free up space in a small kitchen.

Would this be dangerous?

If it's ok to site it here would it be a good idea to install a smoke alarm inside the cupboard just in case?

Would I need to put a vent in the door? Top or bottom or both? And what size?

Very grateful for any advice please

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Electrically there is nothing to stop you. But fire regulations may be different and from your comments you already realise it is not a good idea.

Only this week where I live there was a house fire caused by a freezer and it seems people were luck to get out alive.

And all houses here have roof under first floor so in case of fire one can get out without using stairs.

So I would not put any electrical items on the stairs which exception of smoke alarm.

Yet it is still common to mount meters under the stairs on older houses.

I don't think there is any reason you can't use it under your stairs, after all some freezers are built into kitchen units (as are dishwashers, washing machines etc).

If you want to double check then phone the freezer manufacturer and ask them what they recommend.

Whatever the case I would fit a vent near the top of the space and one low down to allow a bit of air movement.

Usually appliances which require convection currents to cool them (i.e. fridges) have guidelines in the manual about the space you should allow them. So long as the radiator at the back of the freezer isn't smothered by anything (scarves shoved down the back etc) and there's some ventilation to the room then I don't think there'd be a fire hazard.

Sponsored Links
Usually appliances which require convection currents to cool them (i.e. fridges) have guidelines in the manual about the space you should allow them. So long as the radiator at the back of the freezer isn't smothered by anything (scarves shoved down the back etc) and there's some ventilation to the room then I don't think there'd be a fire hazard.

I have already posted This Link how after that can you say
I don't think there'd be a fire hazard.
Quite obvious there is. I agree it does not say what type of freezer caught alight and maybe it was one with heating element and it stuck on defrost cycle. But neither does the guy posting say what freezer he intends to use.

Had I not already posted then what you say would have made sense and before the report I too would have considered it as no great problem but I think it is prudent to learn from other peoples misfortune hence why I included link to fire report.

I have had a 5' upright freezer in a hall cupboard in my flat for over 30 years and it has been perfectly safe.

I would recommend leaving the door of the cupboard slightly ajar to give the frrezer room to breathe. It will also burn more electricity if air can't circulate freely around it I believe!

When we go to bed I always open the cupboard door fully, either that or as somebody suggests fit a vent somewhere.

Ps we also have a larder fridge in a double cupboard in a bedroom. It shares this space with my PC. Again I always try to leave the door slightly ajar for ventilation and so the PC doesn't overheat!

I may rip anything with a plug on it out of my house and strip out the wiring as well, just in case. Just kidding but you have to draw the line somewhere.

I think the general consensus is that under normal conditions there should be no problem putting a freezer under the stairs, under fault conditions it could be a different story. The same can be said for absolutely anything though. Most fuse boards are/were fitted under stairs and if they go wrong they will go up with a more spectacular bang than a freezer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back