Electrical Daisy Chain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please tell me if you lose any power when you wire lights directly from a junction box as opposed to daisy chain..... eg 4 lights from one junction box or 4 lights daisy-chained.... which would be best?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Depends on lamp voltage and power, size of cable, lengths of cable runs, and positions of lights relative to each other and to ceiling joists etc.

Ooooohhhh! If I'd known it was that complicated I would have taken more notice in Physics at school!......
The are 4 lamps, each 50 watts.
The cable is 100mm2.
Each cable is about 2 metres long (from junction box to lamp).
The lamps are in a square layout (imagine a square with sides of about 2 metres). Each lamp is probably within 20cm of a joist.

Does this make it any easier to judge?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Ooooohhhh! If I'd known it was that complicated I would have taken more notice in Physics at school!......
You can catch up on cable selection here.

The are 4 lamps, each 50 watts.
Voltage? If extra-low, are you talking about the cables for the secondary side(s) of the transformer(s)?

The cable is 100mm2.
No it isn't... ;)

Each cable is about 2 metres long (from junction box to lamp).
The lamps are in a square layout (imagine a square with sides of about 2 metres). Each lamp is probably within 20cm of a joist.
The physical constraints of light/jb/joist positions are for you to judge when looking at the job - is it easier to run from one light to another, or easier to run from a central point to each one individually?

Bear in mind that junction boxes should remain accessible for inspection and testing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back