electrical doorbell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found an old electrical doorbell, the type that makes a big sound and I would like to install it Does it need a transformer and can I power it via creating a spur from an existing lighting spur, or do I have to hunt for the lighting ring?

Sponsored Links
I have found an old electrical doorbell, the type that makes a big sound and I would like to install it Does it need a transformer
Almost certainly. What voltage and current is the bell?
and can I power it via creating a spur from an existing lighting spur, or do I have to hunt for the lighting ring?
One and the same thing. Lights are not wired in a Ring.

Hi - I didn't know that lights weren't on a circuit, thank you for that information. Where then would I connect the wiring for my bell, by breaking into any lighting wiring nearby and using a junction box perhaps?

There is no information on the bell about voltage or current. It is the simplest construction and made by GEC. The wiring is housed under a brown bakelite cover, about 2" square, there are two copper coloured coils from which red wires extend to two terminals, one of the terminals is also, via a screw with a pointed end, in contact with a metal strip on a frame to which both coils seem to be attached. There is also on the other side another termina,l which I presume is for the earth, which is attached to the frame on which the coils sit.

What about the wiring to the bell push?

Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Where then would I connect the wiring for my bell, by breaking into any lighting wiring nearby and using a junction box perhaps?

NO NO NO

Most door bells operate on about 8volts. Usually they need a transformer (search for bell transformer.)

It is not safe to connect the bell directly to the lighting, or any circuit. It will fry the bell and probably you.

Take the cover off the bell and post a picture on here, that may help, a bit.

i would recommend getting a spark as you don't seem to have enough knowledge for what you intend to do. no offence intended.

An explanation of how a trembler bell (interrupter bell) works is shown on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bell

A photo would be nice, but from the description it probably works off about 3-8V from a battery or a transformer.

Bell transformer:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TCTR7.html

CAUTION: this transformer is designed to be wired into the mains. The mains wire must be properly secured to/into the transformer so that it cannot pull out and expose live ends.

i would recommend getting a spark as you don't seem to have enough knowledge for what you intend to do. no offence intended.

I despair. Installing a doorbell must be the single, easiest electrical task going.

If we cannot help a DIYer wire up a doorbell without just saying "get an electrician" then we may as well shut down this forum as not being fit for purpose.

Here's a simple diagram

View media item 40205
You'll probably only have one bell push, so ignore the back door one.

Owain, thank you for making the effort.

TTC

apart from changing a lamp! ;)

i know this is a DIY forum just concerned with what understanding the op has given with what has been said in the posts.

[quote="Taylortwocities";p="2202853]I despair. Installing a doorbell must be the single, easiest electrical task going.[/quote]

Not all chimes have two terminals like the one in your picture.

If he does not have instructions for it, it may not be immediately obvious which terminal is which.

Would you say that if I had posted for advice about the chime?

I despair. Installing a doorbell must be the single, easiest electrical task going.

And yet I have seen two professional electricians scratching their heads trying to work out how to wire a SPDT switch (two-way light switch) so that either the upstairs bell or the downstairs bell rang.

Not all chimes have two terminals like the one in your picture.

If he does not have instructions for it, it may not be immediately obvious which terminal is which.
Which is one of the reasons why I asked him to
Take the cover off the bell and post a picture on here, .

From his description its not a chime, its a
an old electrical doorbell, the type that makes a big sound

Most probably an AC bell with only two terminals. Will wait and see what the response is.

[quote="Taylortwocities";p="2202853]I despair. Installing a doorbell must be the single, easiest electrical task going.

Would you say that if I had posted for advice about the chime?

To be fair to TTC, i read it as aimed at elrobbos comment to get a spark in.
I dont agree with all TTC use google posts though :)

I now totally understand how to install the doorbell (and yes, it is very simple once you know how, as was ever the case with most things!)

I'd like to thank every one of you for your contributions, you have made my day. For the first time in about ten years, friends, delivery guys, the Postman etc won't have to thump their knuckles on our front door to get attention.

This a great site and says a lot about people when they are prepared to freely share their knowledge and experience with complete strangers.

A Happy Christmas to you all and don't mix too many of your drinks.

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back