electrical installation work in hazardous environments

T

tjsparks

does anyone know what are the requirements for electrical contractors to carry out installation work in an area that is classed as expolsive atmosphere it is in a spray shop to supply power via a star delta starter/islotor to 3 extraction fans in a zone 1 environment.

any info greatly appreciated

cheers

tone

Sponsored Links
If you're with the NIC they will require that you have the COMPEX EX01, 02, 03 and 04 certification.

This scheme is run by JTL and there are a few training centres which run this course (5 days).

I would also advise your PLI is up to date and covers you for this work.

I.S

If you're with the NIC they will require that you have the COMPEX EX01, 02, 03 and 04 certification.

This scheme is run by JTL and there are a few training centres which run this course (5 days).

I would also advise your PLI is up to date and covers you for this work.

I.S

yes we are fully niceic accredited thanks need to find a training centre near the midlands/
cheers

Sponsored Links
It's more based on methods of protection i.e... EEx d, e, i and n etc.

Not much to do with electrical theory.

You may struggle if you have never installed this equipment before but if you read up before hand it should be a walk in the park.

There are also practical assessments which include the inspection schedule as per EN 60079-17. Basically:

Visual
Close
Detailed

Then a small installation which I'm sure is an EEx d box where you fit the barrier gland (compound filled), an EEx ia smoke detector and an EEx e light. Once you install then you test as standard.

Regards,

I.S.

It's more based on methods of protection i.e... EEx d, e, i and n etc.

Not much to do with electrical theory.

You may struggle if you have never installed this equipment before but if you read up before hand it should be a walk in the park.

There are also practical assessments which include the inspection schedule as per EN 60079-17. Basically:

Visual
Close
Detailed

Then a small installation which I'm sure is an EEx d box where you fit the barrier gland (compound filled), an EEx ia smoke detector and an EEx e light. Once you install then you test as standard.

Regards,

I.S.

thanks for your information you obviously are well up on these installations have you ever done an installation involving spray booth area i have been asked to supply power to 3 extraction fans but they have given me limited information regading a risk assessment of the zone areas etc if a motor was positioned in the area where the fumes gases pass directly is this a zone 0 and then if so are full FLP/INTRINSICALLY SAFE connections and equipment required eg star delta starter/isolator etc to meet the requirements?

cheers pal

I done EX 07 and EX 08 for petrol stations, at a centre in somerset. http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/prhurt
It was well in excess of £1000 plus £200 for accomadation.

They will send you a free quide and it tells you what you need knowledge in.
Tell them what work you want as there are various EX courses,
Not sure if they do the lower number EX courses though.
Only 7 8 9 and 10 I think.

It was a very intense course crammed into 5 days.
It is broken into parts, and you can return to do just the parts you fail if required.

There is a lot on H+ Safety.lots of paperwork and form filling for permits,risk assesments,method statements etc.

Terminating swa with increased earth terminations, terminating pyro.

You needed to know all about , psc currents, fuse discrimination, safe isolation,flashpoints, EX enclosures, ip codes,etc.

They teach you some, but you needed the basic stuff, to build on really.
And you needed to listen and take note as it done my head in as it was so fast.

TJ,

I've never worked on spray booths, always O&G installations.

In Zone 0 you are only allowed to install I.S (EEx ia not ib) equipment all of which is 24v.

The starter you wish to install will have to be fitted outside of Zone 0. If you have a EEx d (flameproof) enclosure for the starter it can then be located in Zone 1.

I.S.

thanks for your information you obviously are well up on these installations have you ever done an installation involving spray booth area i have been asked to supply power to 3 extraction fans but they have given me limited information regading a risk assessment of the zone areas etc if a motor was positioned in the area where the fumes gases pass directly is this a zone 0 and then if so are full FLP/INTRINSICALLY SAFE connections and equipment required eg star delta starter/isolator etc to meet the requirements?

Tone, unfortunately the case of zoning in hazardous areas is not as simple as, say, zones in a bathroom. Granted that they do depend on the nature and frequency of the gases within them, but it is NOT your job to determine the zones. If the spray booth is already compex compliant then they should be able to provide you with full drawings to show you the extent of the zones, and only then will you be able to make a decision as to how the installation should be carried out.

Also, in reference to the above post, why do you say that an I.S. circuit must be 24v? Thermocouples, for example, do not require 24v - yet with the correct protection (i.e. barriers, correct enclosures, glands) then they can easily form part of such a circuit. Intrinsically safe protection isn't really anything to do with exact voltages, I'm not saying there isn't a limit as I could be wrong, but the nature of the system is more to do with limiting energy discharge so that a spark cannot ignite the surrounding atmosphere.

Electronicsuk,

You are correct that an I.S circuit is simply a limited energy circit. The device which does this is the I.S barrier (this device should be located in a safe area but can be installed in a hazardous Zone if mounted in a flameproof enclosure). The barrier limits the energy available in the circuit to a level below that which could ignite a flammable atmosphere.

"Intrinsically safe protection isn't really anything to do with exact voltages, I'm not saying there isn't a limit as I could be wrong"

The only I.S equipment i'm aware of operates on 24v but there may be mains equipment avaliable, cant see it though.

Regards

TJ,

I've never worked on spray booths, always O&G installations.

In Zone 0 you are only allowed to install I.S (EEx ia not ib) equipment all of which is 24v.

The starter you wish to install will have to be fitted outside of Zone 0. If you have a EEx d (flameproof) enclosure for the starter it can then be located in Zone 1.

I.S.

thanks for all the info have helped alot

cheers

Intrinsically safe protection isn't really anything to do with exact voltages, I'm not saying there isn't a limit as I could be wrong, but the nature of the system is more to do with limiting energy discharge so that a spark cannot ignite the surrounding atmosphere.
Sounds reasonable.

Give me a car battery and I'll create you a sodding great spark with only 12V, but little limit on energy discharge...

Electronicsuk,
"Intrinsically safe protection isn't really anything to do with exact voltages, I'm not saying there isn't a limit as I could be wrong"

The only I.S equipment i'm aware of operates on 24v but there may be mains equipment avaliable, cant see it though.

Regards

Fair play. We have a fair amount of IS equipment at work that runs on 10v. Admittedly i've never come across anything of this type operating at mains potential, but just wanted to dissuade the thinking that I.S. circuits must always operate at 24v.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back