Electrical Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( Can somebody please help !!!!
I recently bought a new light fitting for the top of the stair well in my home without remembering the set up of the wiring. There are 5 wires coming out from the ceiling, 2 red, 2 brown and 1 earth. The new light fitting only has 3 wires attached. 1 brown, 1 blue and 1 earth.

I have tried wiring both of the reds together and also the 2 browns together without success, each time I put the fuse back in to the main board the light is on and when I switch it off the fuse blows. If someone could help I would be grateful....

Sponsored Links
two red and two brown?!

do you mean two red and two black?

also i find the presence of only one earth a little worrying

i'd get a sparky in the wring sounds dodgy anyway and the fact that you didn't notice this and check the original wiring before removing the lamp tells me you are way out of your depth

One of the cable is line neuteral and hopefuly the earth, the other is the switch cable.

Conect the two reds together but not to the light fitting. Conect the blacks one to the blue and the other to the brown. The lack of a second earth means the switch box is unearthed, not ideal, but not uncommon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back