Electrical Testing

• Thread starter Harry The Hole
  • Start date
H

Harry The Hole

Im carrying out a Minor Works Cert on a Hager dist board. The switch disconnector is a 3p 100A MCB to BS5419. Can anyone please tell me what the maximum Zs permitted by BS7671 would be.

Sponsored Links
A switch disconnector isn't an overcurrent protective device.
What are you doing which is minor work on a dis board?

Spark123 said:
What are you doing which is minor work on a dis board?

Basically the original switch disconnector in the off position would not disconnect the BLACK (YELLOW) phase to the dist board

Spark123 said:

Just to expand a little for the OP

A BS5419 device is a switch disconnector. It is not an MCB, therefore it does not have a max permitted Zs, as regardless of how large or small a fault were to occur the BS5419 device will not trip (because they are just a switch).

On the MEW cert. you need to put the characteristics of the OCPD which feeds the switch disconnector you have replaced.

As a side note, I thought BS5419 had been superseded by BSEN60947-3
Does anyone know if they still make BS5419 isolators?

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
Spark123 said:

Just to expand a little for the OP

A BS5419 device is a switch disconnector. It is not an MCB, therefore it does not have a max permitted Zs, as regardless of how large or small a fault were to occur the BS5419 device will not trip (because they are just a switch).

On the MEW cert. you need to put the characteristics of the OCPD which feeds the switch disconnector you have replaced.

As a side note, I thought BS5419 had been superseded by BSEN60947-3
Does anyone know if they still make BS5419 isolators?

Many thanks for your help.
I agree BS5419 has now been superseded, but when I received the replacement disconnector, the new one had BS5419 stamped on it. By the way it is Hager. Obviously old stock

Nothing to worry about really, BS or BS(EN), either will suffice. Like RF says the max Zs (or in your case Ze or Zdb?) will be determined by the overcurrent protective device upstream of the dis board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back