Electrical Training

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

After 15 years in the navy,i'm looking to re-train and enter civvy street as a domestic electrician,does anyone know of any good training establishments in the uk?,has anyone heard of or had any dealings with Technique training ,they reckon i can re-train in around six weeks!!.

Cheers

Andy :D

Sponsored Links
AndySp said:
Hi Guys,

After 15 years in the navy,i'm looking to re-train and enter civvy street as a domestic electrician,does anyone know of any good training establishments in the uk?,has anyone heard of or had any dealings with Technique training ,they reckon i can re-train in around six weeks!!.

Cheers

Andy :D

what do you already know?

its impossibly to become an electrician in 6 weeks if you dont know anything to start with. try sayin what you actually know/qualifications you have (sounds like you already know some by the fact you said re-train, but we cant read peoples minds)

Sponsored Links
I'd imagine it is running a bit low if you have not filled it up since you last asked that question on here :LOL:

Presuming you know nothing substantial about electrical installation work, the traditional method of becoming a qualified electrician is to study for an NVQ level 3. Level 3 courses are generally reckoned to be equivalent to AS levels.
An NVQ3 is currently made up of 2 parts, the C&G 2330 which some refer to as the technical certificate. This composes of on-line exams, assessment/assignments, and other bits and pieces. It is there to instill 'underpinning knowledge'.
The other part is the C&G 2356, which is a portfolio of evidence proving your competence in the workplace. This is assessed by a qualified assessor who is, or should be, a well qualified and experienced electrician. From once you have covered both parts your college/training establishment will apply for your NVQ certificate. You may or may not have to do an AM2 test as part of your NVQ, depending on how much previous experience you have.
There is an NVQ only course, commonly called the 'Crediting Electrotechnical Competences', or CEC, course that centres offer. This only covers the portfolio (2356) and is really designed for qualified electricians, who may have done the C&G 2360 parts 1 and 2, to convert their qualification to the latest NVQ. Depending on how your college assess your prior knowledge and experience will depend on which course they deem to be most suitable.
Be very, very wary of courses that claim to be able to turn you out in 6 weeks from a zero knowledge base. Would you want a '6 week mechanic' stripping down the brakes on your car?
In summary, the only qualification that will entitle you to call yourself a qualified electrician is an NVQ3, which can take up to 4 years to complete. There are lesser courses, look up EALs 'domestic installer' courses on the 'net, however my personal opinion of these is that they are inferior as to claim to train somebody from zero to competent in approx 12 weeks is at best naive, at worst dangerous. They may pick up the knowledge, but they still need experience, working alongside a qualified person. There is no substitute for experience - you can share it but not teach it.

If I said that the skills shortage in this country, coupled with the need for 'Part P approved' operatives, means that it is now easier to train and do electrical work legally, irrespective a competence, I would be guilty of being extremely cynical. Of course, that would be irresponsible, wouldn't it?

Good luck to you my friend, I hope you find a course in your neck of the woods that is suitable. I think it is admirable that you are looking to re-train. Education should never stop.
I guess that Buckinghamshire is a tad too far to travel from Shetland every week??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back