electrical training

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep seeing adverts in the back of the paper advertising courses to become and electrician or a plumber. Anybody have any opinions or experience of these? Are they any different/better/worse than city and guilds at local college?

Sponsored Links
Personally i'd try to become an electricians mate first to try to get hands on experience, then 16th edition (soon to be 17 Regs) then 2391. Having quailifications although good is nothing without on the job knowledge and expereince. good luck whatever you decide

what are my chances of becoming a mate at 32?

The training is www.electrical-skills.com

I called the number but they couldn't tell me a price, wanted to send an "advisor" to my house to "discuss options". Sounds like a double glazing salesman to me or am I just too cynical?

Sponsored Links
The co. I work for took on a chap as an electricians mate last year.

He's 36, so it's not impossible.

regarding your options post, the bloke coming round was probably an ex double glazing salesman.

streer clear of them

onzadog said:
That's good to know. Do they have a branch in Nottingham?

No, afraid not. I work for a fairly small local (to Leeds) company.

i looked at that site seen there ads in local papers. Liked there claim that qualified sparks earn 37k a year i wish i could be earning that and im fully qualified.

onzadog said:
what are my chances of becoming a mate at 32?

We have a mate who's in his 50's so I don't think you should have a problem at 32!

In the short term, as long as you can live on the lower pay companies often prefer "mature" mates with good electrical knowledge.

In the last few years or so there seems to have been an explosion in the number of training companies so I reiterate what the others posters have said....be careful who you give your hard earned money to.

we have loads of lads in sheffield on these courses .. the plumbing course is a 6 month course and gives u acs.corgi,partp and part l plus all the modules boilers/fires/cookers etc .. and costs a mighty 7000 pound
what a crock of s**t i know 3 and not 1 of them has found a job .
they have no idea wot so ever and every one knows it.
i had one with me on a job the other week 3 months into course and never soldered a copper fitting . ??? but could commision a boiler..

i see in ur post u r local to nottingham .. send me a email i know a guy who takes on the occasional mature apprentise in the notts area .. (dont really want to advertise the company here or every one will be calling him . :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back