electrical work

Sorry guys, and thank you for your replies, but my problem is not knowing how to install the correct electrical installation, its the fact that i'm not qualified or have any test equipment.

I know or can find out how to install to the current regs, but i'm just a 60 year old heating engineer, not a qualified electrician. will the building inspector accept the work done by me.
It will vary area to area and I can only speak from experience when in 2006 my son and I completed a wet room where the builder and his electricians ran off into the wilds of Wales.

The inspector on his first and only visit asked "Who would sign off the electrics" to which my son answered he would. My son said how he had a C&G2391 but the inspector was un-impressed. My son then said how I held a degree in Electrical and Electronic engineering which he accepted.

Although I also had a C&G2391 the inspector did not know that and it was apparent the inspector did not have a clue as to what the qualifications really were. But at least this was sorted up front before we started the work.

On completion the installation certificate to submitted to the council and the completion certificate arrived in the post.

Clearly we did know what we were doing and there was no attempt to skimp on the job. We also had the meters required and these were on display when the inspector arrived.

I would consider a full test set it just too expensive for DIY and that a cheap tester like this one would be a good compromise although even these cost £50.

In the view of what I know of the building control to date I would print out advert and tell the LABC inspector you have ordered one of these to do testing with and ask them if they will accept the paperwork from you.

My son also had dealing with Liverpool LABC and it was completely different. They were really helpful and knew exactly what the C&G 2391 meant and allowed him to test and inspect without a problem.

Much will depend on when you started the job. You may not be required to show test results anyway. The new Part P (and you must remember if started before April you will be on the old one) states that a post installation electrical installation condition report is to be accepted but really there is only two people who can answer the questions.

1) The LABC inspector.

2) Yourself.

Only you know if you can really do the work safely. And from what you have said on here if I was the LABC inspector I would not be happy.

Sponsored Links
Thank you eric. What about this then. I fit all the sockets, cable, switches etc, leave EVERYTHING open then pay a Qualified Electrician to check everything, finish off and certify it all ?

Ask the electrician you select. It is up to him what he will accept. Although in theory Part P allows for third party inspection it is not yet practice as far as I am aware as the scheme operators have not finalised how it is to be done.

Sorry guys, and thank you for your replies, but my problem is not knowing how to install the correct electrical installation, its the fact that i'm not qualified or have any test equipment.

I know or can find out how to install to the current regs,
Can't be done without test equipment.

but i'm just a 60 year old heating engineer, not a qualified electrician. will the building inspector accept the work done by me.
Almost certainly not.

Sponsored Links
Thank you eric. What about this then. I fit all the sockets, cable, switches etc, leave EVERYTHING open then pay a Qualified Electrician to check everything, finish off and certify it all ?
As Eric says, in theory you can use a registered third-party certifier as an alternative to having the work done by a registered competent person or applying for Building Regulations approval in advance, but...

a) Your idea would not work, as you must appoint one before you start

b) There aren't any yet - none of the scheme organisers have got their act together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back