Electrician error kills plumber

Sponsored Links
I would stake my life on the fact that no electrician made such a basic & horrific cock up as that!!!

Everyone should have ten quid plug in tester in their toolbox. You can test after you've fitted a socket or test before using a socket. When the three green lights come on you know it's right.

Dunno how he hoped to adjust the back leg of a washer anyway.

Sponsored Links
When i got made redundant from Asda my mum in law, who was in the process of having a kitchen fitted asked me to pop up and see her, the job was not going well, long story, short version, i kicked them, father & son off the job, the work surface was in three sections, the idiot had cut them at 90', not to the corners of the walls which were not 90', under the kitchen sink resembled spahgetti junction, there were waste pipes and water pipes going all over the place, i was not happy with the electrics and got my sparky to go over it, sure enough there was NO EARTH!! He sorted that and i said shall we check the oven as i had disconnected it prior to his arrival, he said it worked ok before, so as the pub was now open it should be ok, i was about to undo the power supply box on the wall but stopped when he said that, so he left and i connected the oven back up, switched on and it tripped the fuseboard, i think am i stupid or what, i hasten to add that i have done quite a few rewires with my mate, so connecting an oven up should not have been a problem, i undid the 6mm cable again and checked it was in the right slots, with the cable lying on the floor and the copper bent so as not to short i switched the electric back on and the fuse went again, i know my limitations so got my sparky back the next day.

The 6mm cooker connection had been wired with the earth bent out and the live wired into the earth back plate, the idiot said he had done quite a few kitchens in the Clifton area, why am i not surprised when someone gets nickel plated.

A kitchen fitter part p qualified guy would never have made that mistake.
The real spark was probably relying on testing which of course never happened.

presume the house had no RCD ??

Is it not a legal requirement to have an RC in all domestic installations, if it isn't it should be.
Leading on from that, the RCD is only on power circuits. One would have thought the chance of Electric shock from a light fitting whilst bulb changing is high especially as pendant lights are susceptible to mechanical damage due to movement.
I realise that the RCD requires an earth and light fittings are generally not earthed, but due to the lethal nature of the ridiculous 240v system used in the UK, should not ALL appliances including light fittings be earthed, and then the RCD fitted to the lighting circuits also.

This is an example of one of those dreadful fatalities occuring as a result of of a mutilple series of failures, any one of which could have prevented that fatality.

Dead tests on socket wiring.

Live tests on socket wiring.

Volt stick test appliance.

If in doubt, isolate.

Before I get shot down, I am not saying the plumber was responsible for his own death, I'm saying had he been prudent, he could have saved his own life. No-one expects supposedly earthed metal to be live, but our guys (across all disciplines) are now trained to use a tested voltstick on all metallic surfaces and obtain a negative result before touching those surfaces.

Now, we all know volt sticks are not infallible. But we are minimising the risk of electric shock by using one as opposed to not using one.

TV repairers from the 60s always tested the chassis first - they did it because that's what they always did.

Dunno why modern sockets don't have a feedback loop that prevents them being energised if they are wired wrong.

Sponsored Links
Back