Electrician for new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been quoted for installing a new consumer unit to existing house and running new circuits to the new extension (ring main, lights, shower and cooker). Installation to include basic sockets, ceiling roses, 3 x outside sensor lights, 2 x smoke alarms and 1 x heat alarm, outside socket, extractor in utility & ensuite.

Not sure what a normal price would be for this, but it's come under the expected budget so happy with that.

He has said he is going to invoice later today and requires part payment upfront for materials (not sure what the split of cost is yet, will find out later), is it normal to pay an electrician upfront for materials or would you expect them to supply all and pay after the job is done?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Depends if he is a sole trader or a company. Company employing a number of people should have a cash flow credit or accounts with suppliers to buy materials. A sole trader may not have the necessary cash to layout in one go and has to put his trust in the customer settling the final balance when the job is completed.

I suggest you check that he is a registered electrician who has a land based phone number and letterhead with company/personal address on it. This way you can check he is genuine, (to a point), and will have somewhere to direct any enquiries/paperwork if things don't turn out.
Do NOT use someone who only proides a mobile number and/or email address.

One thing you have not mentioned is a safety cert. when all done. I'd do as Conny says.

Just for the record I have never asked for money up front apart from repeat slow payers, maybe a payment after first fix, as a trader surely he has a 30 day account which with good timing turns into 60 days

Sponsored Links
Just for the record I have never asked for money up front apart from repeat slow payers, maybe a payment after first fix, as a trader surely he has a 30 day account which with good timing turns into 60 days
Having accounts doesn't protect him from non-payment. He still has to settle the bill.

Thats why a first fix payment is asked for, you get a feel for the dodgy customers

An issue with electricians doing extensions can be the period of time between 1st fix and 2nd fix.

1st fix can be a fair bit of work but not much material -but then 2nd fix may not happen for quite a few weeks.

I tended to pay a deposit to a regular electrician -but that is sonebody I had used for years.

Having accounts doesn't protect him from non-payment. He still has to settle the bill.
Very true, its all about who carries the risk at the end of the day, some of my regulars can take two months to pay, but usually just for labour

Do NOT use someone who only proides a mobile number and/or email address.

He has sent his quote/invoice and it has his home address on, 5 mins up the road from me too.

One thing you have not mentioned is a safety cert. when all done. I'd do as Conny says.

I asked him specifically about this as it's important he is approved for building regs.

This guy did a cracking job on fitting my consumer unit and came with eletrical installtion certificate. He's either in flixton or urmston.

I'm in Urmston, would have rang him if i'd posted this sooner! I did ring another guy based in Urmston asking for a quote and he was so rude and arrogant I was shocked :eek:.

Basically I rang four electricians, two came and quoted, one was so rude over the phone I hung up on him, and the other I left a voice and text message for but he didn't call back!

Last edited by a moderator:
As this is a domestic job, I'd suggest you look here https://www.competentperson.co.uk. Read the fist page as this explains its purpose.
As for the charges, there is no single model. FYI, it is not that unusual for a request for payment to cover materials to be made up front. If he is starting out, he may not have sufficient working capital to cover the cost of materials.

Maybe I look trustworthy, but I've never been asked for money up front. My extension electrician was arranged by my builder though, although I paid him direct. Sounds like a similar job, new consumer unit (sort of a double one, with old house on left, extension on right), kitchen, lounge, smoke, heat, 2 ethernet cables, normal lights (not downlighters) and I paid:

Labour £1,300.00
Materials £805.00
Plus Vat £2,105.00

Seemed high, but wasn't going to argue - sure it was just one guy there for a few days at most, so labour seemed a bit steep.

A factory I used to do maintenance for had a surplus in the budget every year, rather than let the accountants grab it back they used to buy two weeks of my time in advance, I hated it, after a few visits it felt like you were working for free

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back