Shopping list for day rate electricition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to believe the OP is being straight up in this instance, if they don't know what they need, I don't think it's a DIY job.

It rings a bit different to 'what size cable do I need for my electrician to connect my shed up? The trench is being back filled tomorrow'

Sponsored Links
I tend to believe the OP is being straight up in this instance, if they don't know what they need, I don't think it's a DIY job. It rings a bit different to 'what size cable do I need for my electrician to connect my shed up? The trench is being back filled tomorrow'
Sure, I agree, not the least because it was not the OP, but rather JohnD, who introduced the concept of our electrician friend who is always seemingly on holiday in Spain. However, since people started going off on that tangent, I took the opportunity to make my little comment about one probable reason for us hearing so much about that holidaying electrician!

Kind Regards, John

Unswitched Fused Spur (Alarm)

I know I'm going off topic, but I always find it a bit pointless using an FCU when it's easier to make use of a (often spare) 6A breaker in the CU with a (usually) short run of 1mm to the alarm panel.
The panel will invariably have a 1A fuse inside anyway.

Also, what are the penny washers for?

Last edited:
Saving lives since 2005 on diynot! Well hopefully anyway... Because that's the point of the part p we're relying on.

Sponsored Links
Saving lives since 2005 on diynot! Well hopefully anyway... Because that's the point of the part p we're relying on.
I have to say that I've never really understood what Part P, per se, was meant to achieve. It is, after all, just one sentence which 'states the obvious' about pre-existing expectations (of the population and also the law) in terms of electrical work. OK, so it actually brought that one sentence into legislation, but there were already (and remain) plenty of other laws to deal with people whose electrical work results in personal injuries, deaths or fires ... so I'm far from convinced that Part P, per se, achieved anything other than making it appear that 'they' were doing something!

Kind Regards, John

Also, what are the penny washers for?
Fixing capping. Sometimes clips/capping nails just bounce out, so drill fixing is easier.

It's also a great method for horizontal capping. One fixing will hold the capping mostly in place whilst you deal with the rest of it

Why do some people feel the need to supply materials? They invariably miss things, get the wrong things, get the cheapest (at a premium price). Let the sparky supply. He will get what is needed, it will be the correct stuff, it will cost the same.

I wouldn't entertain this job.

I know several one man oufits that require materials to be paid for by client to keep turnover below the vat registration threshhold.
litl

Me too, but they usually give a detailed shop list to the customer, or just have the customer pay the supplier direct.
Even if the sparky listed out the Screwfix part numbers..

I can't believe that the OP has to resort to a DIY forum to find out what size cable he needs to buy:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back