Electrician gone on holl's and plasterer coming at weekend !

Thats interesting... just txt him and he says :- '' I'm authorised to certificate work done by other electrical contractors who are not registered''..... So as long as I do it right, he's okay with that?.. does that ring true??
Not really. He might be 'authorised' to certify work undertaken by electricians or contractors who work for him, or for his organisation, but not an 'outsider'.

In any event, just in terms of what he has written, would you say that you qualify as an "other electrical contractor"?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
well I can install 3 phase plant anywhere in the world and have a copy of the 17th edition... But no, not really?.... :)

'' I'm authorised to certificate work done by other electrical contractors who are not registered''.....
You need to find out what he means.

If he really does mean that he is a registered 3rd-party certifier, and is authorised to certify Part P compliance after the event, then that could be an option for you. The only thing which puzzles me is "other electrical contractors who are not registered", because the point of 3rd-party certification is that it is (should be) an option for DIYers, not just qualified but unregistered electricians. Can you find him on the NAPIT or Stroma websites?

well I can install 3 phase plant anywhere in the world and have a copy of the 17th edition... But no, not really?.... :)
No, not really. But does "install 3 phase plant" only mean installing machines and connecting and commissioning them, or does it include electrical installation work to provide the supplies to machines? If so, might it be worth talking to your LABC to see if they will accept an EIC from you?

But whether you try that, or go down the 3rd-party certifier route, you can't ignore the fact that your LABC are expecting something different, so you would need to agree any change with them.

Sponsored Links
...or bring in another electrician to replace the one who has suddenly and unpredictably "gone on holiday".

I'm pretty sure Leeds has more than one electrician, and you can pay the new one out of the money you would have paid the holidaying contractor but now will not be, as he is on holiday...

If he really does mean that he is a registered 3rd-party certifier, and is authorised to certify Part P compliance after the event, then that could be an option for you.
It could - but as we are all aware, there does not appear to b any mechanism where someone could be become one of the hypothesised "third party certifiers"!
The only thing which puzzles me is "other electrical contractors who are not registered", because the point of 3rd-party certification is that it is (should be) an option for DIYers, not just qualified but unregistered electricians.
Indeed, as I eluded to in my recent post, we have been told that what gets registered by the self-cert schemes is an 'enterprise' (even if only a sole trader), and that there may/will then be an individual who can certify on behalf of anyone working for that 'enterprise'. However, as I intimated/implied, I really don't see how that could apply to the OP - who admits that he is not really an "other electrical contractor".

Kind Regards, John

It could - but as we are all aware, there does not appear to b any mechanism where someone could be become one of the hypothesised "third party certifiers"!
Ooh - you're on your own there. :LOL:

Some of us are now less aware of that. :cool:

I've called the LABC today.. and as it's a Part P cert he's happy that the next inspection is on completion... so no more visits until the job is done... :)
not sure about the rest what you are on about ?? :)

Ooh - you're on your own there. :LOL: Some of us are now less aware of that. :cool:
Are you just referring to what the OP's electrician has said, or do you know something that I ought to know about?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back