Electrician has left holes in interior brickwork

Taking the plaster off and replastering is the best way, but obviously could get very expensive.

The dot and dab plasterboard then skim method is a cheaper way of doing this, but would mean door linings would probably have to be replaced for wider ones, etc.

Certainly don't want to push you into extra work not allowed for, though dodgy old blown plaster can be a nightmare...

Got a builder coming for the second time tomorrow with his plasterer and joiner. He has been recommended and he said I should go and look at an extension he built (which I did). Had a word with the guy whose extension it was and he said he had no issues etc. I will ask him. Fingers crossed. :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Not being funny, but they don't know each other, do they??

Before you commit, it's better to look at more than just one job.

Frying pan and fire & all that...

If the plaster is loose and blown, I would be wanting to remove and start again.

A plasterer will obviously know what the score is. They can put some green goo stuff over the old plaster and skim the whole wall. Patching that lot would be a right mess.

Sponsored Links
If the plaster is loose and blown, I would be wanting to remove and start again.

A plasterer will obviously know what the score is. They can put some green goo stuff over the old plaster and skim the whole wall. Patching that lot would be a right mess.

A plasterer in this house has dot and dabbed where blown plaster has come off and then bonded it (or at least he used that term) up to the original plaster. If you tap it - it sounds blown - but they say it can sound like that when it's dot and dabbed. I don't like it you know - because a punter would never know...... i have been challenged to hit it with a hammer..... just to see......

There is some green gritty stuff they use these days. PVA is frowned upon by most.

Cheers, Leccy! I'm in the know, now!

So when a plasterer says I'll just splash the wall with PVA, I'll say, Oh no you don't.....

I think there is almost a 50/50 divide on PVA. Some swear by it and some say it makes matters worse. It stays 'alive', and will turn back to a sticky liquid if it gets damp or humid.

If you use Gypsum thistle for plastering, and use this green stuff from Gypsum to do the prep, you have a guarantee as long as you follow the instructions.

I have seen it used a lot recently in refurbs where the walls to be skimmed are still suitable (not blown or falling to bits).

Hello all, thought you might like to know NICEIC's response from their technical dept. Can I just say, the customer service there was amazing. They were incredibly helpful - they could have taken 14 days to deal with this but after a phone call today they transferred all my pics to the tech dept and they got back virtually straight away. Marvellous. This is it:

Because the installation is only at the first fix stage, we are unable to determine the eventual condition of the works.

We suggest that you discuss the matter with the contractor before he continues with the work, making him aware of your concerns and allow him to provide his response. You may want to bring to his attention the following electrical regulations: 522.6.101 and 522.6.102 which relate to wires running behind walls. If the contractor requires clarification on these, he is welcome to call our technical helpline who may be able to offer assistance.

If after the work has been completed you wish to continue with your complaint, please provide evidence as to the scope of works ordered such as a contract, estimate or invoice and copies of correspondence between both parties, dated 1/12/12 and 28/3/13 as per your complaints form. Please also clarify whether the property is empty or in use.

:)

Fat lot of use that is then. You can't complain about the work until the job is finished, so you have to plaster up knowing you're going to have to pull it all back off again to sort the wiring out. :rolleyes:

I don't have either of those regs in my book :confused:

Bottom page 124 and top page 125, BGB.

Remember the weird numbering system!!!

Ahh I was looking in BRB :oops:

Would you mind doing a quick summaise of the regs they've quoted?

[Life Of Brian Voice] You're very very naughty boys!! Get the BGB tomorrow!!

Cable concealed in wall or partition less than 50mm shall:

have earthed metallic covering

be enclosed in earthed conduit, trunking or ducting

be mechanically protected

be installed in safe zones

form part of S/ PELV circuit.

Provision of RCD for above circuits not under supervision must be provided with RCD protection, with characteristics set out in 415.1.1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back