Electricity bill - Is this OTT?

Grasping at straws, but did she have any trade works in the house ?

Wall bashing, chop saws, drills, kangos all eat power- as does the constant click of a boiling kettle.

Sponsored Links
I got a qualified electrician to do some work new CU in kitchen and disconnect a box which served the old immersion heater upstairs which had been left live after removal of the boiler.

Had this been left on during the period of high kWh use?

No trade work - other than me in the summer months refurbishing before she moved in.

The immersion heater had been removed approx 2 years before she got the property - what was left was the old switch box which had not been disconnected so still had a live feed.

Sponsored Links
Have checked everything I can to see if anything left on or using excessive power. Due to the fact that the loft light is operated like an extension light i.e. plugged into a socket in the upstairs hall it is highly unlikely that this would be left on.

At this stage I am convinced that the problem lies firmly with npower's inability to manage this account properly and change the account to standard tariff. This further confirmed by the fact of my test on meter reading indicating usage of only 15 units per week.

Ahh - Now I think I see your drift do you mean something like this :LOL:
article-1160845-00400300000004B0-821_468x333.jpg

To be honest at one time I did have suspicions that someone was tapping in to the power - even had a good route around the loft for any evidence :oops:

My daily average is between 7 and 9 kWh per day, in a 2 bed victorian terrace with GCH. (those figures includes winter time with the long periods of darkness)

Finally (I hope!) have reached agreement with Npower. They are refunding my daughter over £500 for overpayments made while incorrectly on Economy7 tariff - with reversed day / night readings and for charging Economy 7 for the last 12 months on the new meter.

The new meter figures at least confirmed my opinion that she was using no more than 2.5-3 units per day. Npower quoted usage figures went up to a maximum of 16 units per day!! Consequently they tried to charge her at one point £140 per month :evil:

With the benefit of hindsight I really should have raised an official complaint much earlier in this saga! Instead I relied on the customer accounts department to sort it out - clearly a poor decision on my part.

So thanks again to all for help and advice - in future I will be banging the table and complaining much sooner :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back