Electricity bill - Is this OTT?

Sponsored Links
Correct!

And as I take it your in warrington tony You'll have one of ours and your meter serial should start HB**J*****.

his is a horstmann telmeter.

Rate 1 = Normal/day rate

Rate 4 = Low/night rate.

First reading is total of the 2.

Now I understand the 8's allow all the LCD segments to display :)

The meter is Ampy Reporter serial beginning A0
Looks like this -
reporter.jpg

before anyone asks, no I have not disconnected it to take a picture :D

Not one of ours then one of BG's.

Sure it will read the same tho.

Sponsored Links
My quarterly bills for electricity generally vary between £45 - 80.

I had a problem with npower where they sent me a letter saying they had just become my electricity supplier and that they would be billing me shortly. They then sent me a bill for £520 with what seemed to be a fictional meter reading made some three months before.

I argued that I couldn't have used this much in just three months in a two up/two down with GCH & gas oven. Luckily I had been taking my own meter readings (although not quite to equitums detail ;) ) so when I gave them a few of these they reduced my bill to £110. I promptly paid and joined another supplier. Never had a bill this high since although with the price increases maybe I will now. :cry:

No need to buy a clamp meter to measure power flowing through the meter tails. If you look at the meter is should tell you how many flashes per kWh. So if you rattle a bit of arithmetic you'll have the load the meter's supplying.

very true :oops:

(although as in this case the meter is in an outside wall cabinet, it might be convenient to measure current at tails by CU, and flick circuits on and off. This is a good way of spotting a circuit with an unexpected load on it.

(although as in this case the meter is in an outside wall cabinet, it might be convenient to measure current at tails by CU, and flick circuits on and off. This is a good way of spotting a circuit with an unexpected load on it.

Maybe something like this would come in handy. You can carry it around with you while you "flick circuits on and off."

http://www.electricity-monitor.com/efergy-c-26.html?gclid=CPDxhqintZMCFQoDGgodoEwpBw

Not sure how accurate it is but should give you some idea of which appliance is being greedy!

V

Thanks to all for updates and comments.

I have finally managed to speak to a customer advisor at Npower. She was helpful and stated:
"Have checked with the Back Office and it seems we have made an error when tariff changed - reversed the Night and Day readings. We will send out an amended statement in the next 14 days

Queried the need for Economy 7 in a house with no night storage facility
"It may be better to go on standard tariff - lets us sort out the original mistake first"

So I am waiting for the new statement which I will check carefully the amount of units used and also likely be asking to be put on standard tariff.

EDIT:
Trying to understand this a little better.
Am I correct here that electricity units used 1 kWh would equate to running an appliance of 1000watts for 1 hour?
If the above is correct then the total units used 5181kWh divided by actual months occupied (6) would give monthly consumption of 863.5 units. Therefore the actual daily consumption would be approximately 28 kWh. Equal to 1.16 units per hour over a 24hr period :cry:
Cannot see that this could be correct so suspect my understanding flawed.

"It may be better to go on standard tariff - lets us sort out the original mistake first"
if it is better not on E7 (i would expect it is but you should be able to do the calculations) then try and get them to sort it now an recalculate not on E7 so you get the benifits on the outstanding amount, i wouldnt expect them to comply as they dont need to if noone had informed them you didnt want E7, but it may be worth a try? lay it on about the inconvenience of the incorrect bill.

(in a similar vain EON just sent me a £700 gas bill (well debit notice thing), it claims they read the meter but they hadnt, looks like a made up meter figure as they hadnt read it and the real figure is (much) lower, although the electricity reading isnt a million miles out, very strange, always check your bills people!)

Thanks to all for updates and comments.

I have finally managed to speak to a customer advisor at Npower. She was helpful and stated:
"Have checked with the Back Office and it seems we have made an error when tariff changed - reversed the Night and Day readings. We will send out an amended statement in the next 14 days

Hooray hooray!

EDIT:
Trying to understand this a little better.
Am I correct here that electricity units used 1 kWh would equate to running an appliance of 1000watts for 1 hour?

Yes.

Or a fan heater for 20 minutes

Ot two hobs for (maybe) ten minutes

Or a kettle or toaster 5 times at 4 mins each.

An average of about 1kWh per hour throughout the year is fairly typical AFAIK. (mine is about 22kWh/day winter and 17kWh/day summer, average daily usage)

Well, I don't believe that I am revisiting this after all this time!! But still having issues with making npower understand.

Even after having the meter changed to a standard tariff type (from Economy 7) they are still sending bills based on day and night usage. When queried on a couple of occasions I was told that they had not been notified of meter change or number by their supplier (meter installed end July 08!). Each time I have phoned they requested details of the meter and current readings - what a waste of time.

My daughter just received a bill with a huge monthly figure of £140 (estimated of course!). I have done some quick checks and her average usage is 15 units per week - I cannot conceive that her bill should be more than £20 per month average!

So once again I have contacted npower, this time customer complaints. I have been given a complaint number and the promise that I will get some official correspondence within the next 5 days. It was also explained that if I did not get any satisfaction that I could pass my complaint on to the ombudsman!
I wonder why I get the feeling that this is going to go on and on and...... :rolleyes:

In my experience, Npower are useless:
- 14 different electricity bills in 12 months. None of them were correct, despite meter readings being provided AND several visits by persons to read the meter.
- When on an electricity tarrif with no standing charge, they managed to include one.
- Their initial estimated usage for a normal sized 3 bedroom flat was 70 units per DAY.
- During one summer, no gas was used for several months. (as no heating used, and the hot water was all electric at the time). When the reading was provided which obviously was the same as the previous one, they sent someone round to remove the gas meter because it 'was no longer required'.

Npower were just as bad (they are called EON now)
They were unable to comprehend that the 3 phase electricity meter in a commercial premises had 6 digits. Hence every time a reading was provided, they got it wrong, as it appeared their systems could only deal with 5 digit numbers.

Then there was Southern Electric. The premises already had a supply and meter, but the previous wiring had been disconnected as it was unsafe. A new consumer unit and circuits was installed, so all they had to do was send someone out to connect it.
On calling their advertised number to set up a new account, a recorded voice demanded that an account number was entered.
Calling another number got a real person who seemed helpful. However they were unable to help as a new account needed to be set up. Fair enough. They provided the correct telephone number.
Yes, the number the provided was the one with the recording wanting your existing account number so they could set up a new one.

There are plenty of other suppliers - change to another one today.

There are plenty of other suppliers - change to another one today.
Agree a change is on the cards, however I think they have got my daughter over a barrel until such time as she gets a satisfactory answer as to the amount owed on her account and hopefully a refund of overpayments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back