Electricity/Gas meter accuracy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gas meter is very old, maybe 30-40+ years. the electricity meter is maybe 15 years old.

I have been getting very large electricity and gas bills and while reviewing the whole situation I was wondering about how I could check whether the meters are functioning properly.

Is there any independent way to test this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Electricity meter can be checked by

1/ turning everything off in the house. ( including fridge etc )
2/ read the meter.
3/ turn on an electric fire that has a known rating ( 1 or 2 kilowatts )
4/ wait for one hour
5/ read the meter
6/ turn fire off and turn fridge etc back on

If it was a 1 kilowatt fire the meter should have increased by one unit ( kWh ) or if a 2 kilowatt fire then by 2 units

The longer the test the better the test but it cannot be considered as an accurate test as the wattage of the fire will is unlikely to be exactly 1 ( or 2 ) kilowatts

If the gas meter is that old then your gas supplier is likely to replace it free of charge. ( especially as older meters often read less than they should )

Just contact your supplier and request a change the gas one is pretty old, they are supposed to change on a regular basis so try that first.

You used to be able to request a meter was removed and checked I think who paid depended on who was proved right, not sure what the procedure is now. As said speak to your supplier.

A little note though I would keep my gas meter as long as possible, gas meters are mechanical things, valves, cogs and linkages. Old ones used to be often PUG (Passing Unregistered Gas) because the valves let by slightly and with the slop in the works may fail to pick up small amounts like a pilot;).

Sponsored Links
Well I thought I was getting it today, 'EON' guy came, did a network check, said no signal, sorry cant install it.
It nice living in the country, but this is like living in caves.

keep away from smart meters as they have been nothing but trouble all gas smart meters fitted up till beginning of last year r are going to have to be changed .
Gas Meter must be plus or minus 2 percent accurate and the older a gas meter gets the more in the customers favour it gets (thats why they change them ) think it costs over a hundred quid to get meter tested and if its right you pay it and the vast majority its the cust that pays

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back