Electricity in shed

Sponsored Links
Perfect and happy days re planning permission but you do still need building regs (they are 2 completely separate departments)- its not about permission, it is about the structure being constructed correctly and safely (and there's energy and environmental considerations as well).

You can of course decide not to bother but you'll hit problems (a) if/when you come to sell (b) if any of your neighbours spot the build and complain to the council (c) if there is any sort of insurable incident in the place

Yeah i went through the stuff here: https://www.gov.uk/building-regulations-approval then to research project and to outbuildings and it says i would not need any approval for the structure.
It's also not exactly 7x5m. This is the area - ish. The drenches I am digging are within that area, and the actual walls will be 15cm in, and the whole area will actually be around 30sqm.
However i want to make sure i do the stuff correctly, so is anyone abke to point me towards the correct resource if the above is incorrect?

And again, if your internal space is less than 30 sq m then disregard my previous comment. Though the attached outdoor kitchen might raise some eyebrows...
If you download the Approved Documents (just Google them) you'll find several requirements and various sample ways of achieving those requirements. You don't have to slavishly follow them but they will help you avoid various beartraps.

Sponsored Links
I see. External would be around 31sqm, but this is across two 'rooms' if you like. Internal should be below 30sqm,or defo below 30 if you exclude insulation.
I looked roughly through that before but will look again.
The gas bbq is something quite usual, a lot of them have side burners like hobs so i am not making something super strange i believe.

Are you running new circuits, or taking feeds from your exiting circuits?

New circuits would nit normally require a JB. If taking a feed, how come you have the socket and light circuits with a JB at the same place in the circuit

Already spoke with electrician, and we agreed pretty much what i have planned. I will do all the groundwork and he will connect to the house and install new CU in the shed later. Once i have a roof that is. My partner started talking abour SPA in the meantime which i will oppose as long as i can but just in case increasing the cable conductor area.

Addition of a SPA is going to change a lot of issues. Not only the cable size - your electrician needs to resize the SWA -
The consumer unit at the outbuilding may need a separate circuit for the SPA

plus given the issue of water drainage,
How will you deal with many gallons of human soup when you clean and empty the thing?

Yeah, if i have to later, I'll run another cable. Still hoping my NO to the spa will work. Then if so, there are a lot of models and the power consumption range is huge so not fully planning on that.
Water will go to the 45litre pull along container, and be emptied to foul drain. The ones you use for caravans. It is one little sink only so there will be no hundreds of litres of human soup, just dozens of soapy water.

Yes, fill SPA with water, warm up water, sit in it with friends and family.

voila, 50 gallons of human soup. How you going to drain that?

Oh right well that is yet another reason not to have spa! And a good one so thank you, will use it on my partner.

Oh quick one. Water will go in the same trench as the electricity. Fo i need to put both warning tapes above? I mean the yape you put 30cm in the ground about the pipes and cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back