Electricity Or Hydrogen?

Nohing new about hydrogen powered flight...

Untitled-design-2020-06-19T080924.141.jpg
At that point it was using its first stage, which used kerosene. The other two stages were hydrogen fueled for better ISP.

Sponsored Links
Especially if you lit it.
Petrol - liquid at normal temperatures and pressures. Will run out of a ruptured tank and pool on the ground, inside a vehicle, etc. Highly combustible vapour which is heavier than air.

Hydrogen - a much lighter than air gas at NTP. Will not run out of a ruptured tank and pool on the ground, inside a vehicle, etc. Will not remain around as a highly combustible vapour. Will dissipate from a ruptured tank extremely quickly.

Train and HGV crashes might get interesting. Remember why balloons use helium.

one of the reasons is that the highly inflammable doped fabric envelope of the Hindenberg caught fire, and for a long time people thought it was a hydrogen fire.

But the US Congress is doing its best to ensure that global stockpiles of helium are being frittered away so there will soon be none left.

I vote for T Stoff & C Stoff. Can you imagine Karen or Kevin filling up with hydrogen at the local station? At least topping up with T&C will see off the weak & feeble pretty quickly.

Seriously folks, lektricity is the way it's going for personal transportation. They will not promote a system that will require an entirely new & VERY expensive infrasture.

The serious green types, the ones devoid of propaganda & false emotion, are predicting that boosting the electricity generation & distribution to feed all those batteries is the way to go. Maybe they been planning it for years already . . . .

What you should be worrying about, is those same folk are predicting that only 40% of todays number of privately owned vehicles is sustainable. That's 60% of your precious motor cars that will be taxed off the roads . . . .!

Sponsored Links
I think there's no way we're going to be near the proposed CO2 reductions promised. Own it.

Cameron proposed 8 new Nukes in 2010.
But we're closing most of them down.:rolleyes:

If only.....
upload_2021-7-14_19-26-18-png.239120

We're currently importing power from the EU, at about 2 NP stations rate.

Fusion may be viable, but it's "30 years away". It has always been 30 years away... Buy tungsten shares.

An interesting suggestion I saw was to use ye olde NiFe cells for storage. They aren't efficient in terms of size, but they're much lower tech and polluting than fancier lithium alternatives.

An interesting suggestion I saw was to use ye olde NiFe cells for storage. They aren't efficient in terms of size, but they're much lower tech and polluting than fancier lithium alternatives.
They probably use too much nickel, which is relatively expensive.

These days Lithium Iron Phosphate, or LiPo, is the cheap and cheerful flavour of the day. No expensive cobalt or nickel.

Li price is going up fast, and supply is dominated by China. No mine is nice but Li is problematic.
A complex problem..

Electricity beats hydrogen every time if all things are equal. There's a few areas it might make sense in the future but it'll almost alway be more expensive and less efficient.

At the moment hydrogen is almost all made from natural gas, which means it's a fossil fuel. Electricity from the grid has a lower carbon footprint now, and is improving every year. So right now, electricity all the way.

In theory we might see green hydrogen made by splitting water into oxegen and hydrogen, powered by renewables. But it is currently absurdly expensive so it isn't a significant factor right now.

Even when the price drops in five to ten years the process is inefficient to split water, transport the hydrogen and then convert it back to electricity for use, compared to storing in a battery and then using electricity. Which means it's more green to use batteries in nearly all cases.

The exceptions are when batteries aren't an option and you can't connect to a grid. Seasonal storage for example, there batteries or grid electricity can't work, so hydrogen might be useful.

At work we are currently building hydrogen injection systems for large diesel engines.

It improves fuel economy by 10-15% upto 70% reduction in particulates, and 25% reduction in carbon monoxide.

Essentially it's just a mini boiler which uses electricity to make hydrogen from water and then has fancy ecu to carry out the injection.

Shipping companies are interested but it's tough to make the m put there money on the table.

They probably use too much nickel, which is relatively expensive.

These days Lithium Iron Phosphate, or LiPo, is the cheap and cheerful flavour of the day. No expensive cobalt or nickel.

LiPo is quite big in the radio controlled industry, only downside is that LiPo is quite volatile

Li price is going up fast, and supply is dominated by China. No mine is nice but Li is problematic.
A complex problem..
I believe it's widely mined, for example Australia is the largest producer of ore and Chilie has the largest reserves, but it is shipped elsewhere often China, for refining.

Any country that wants to build its own nuclear weapons starts by building nuclear power stations

apart from a client state that is supplied by another friendly nuclear power

The populace is fed the false story that it is so they will benefit from unlimited cheap non-polluting energy.

Hindenburg

https://eu.floridatoday.com/story/n...burg-fire-retired-nasa-expert-digs/101153648/

While conducting research in Germany, Bain unearthed documents that support the coating theory. A 1937 letter from the Zeppelin company to the paint manufacturer expressed concerns, noting that tests showed the covering was “readily ignited by an electrostatic discharge.” Also testing in Germany in 1938 by the Wireless Telegraph and Atmospheric Electrical Experimental Station found the cause was “the poor conductivity of the aluminum paint coating on the outer skin.”

“Hydrogen did play a role. There is no question about that,” said Bain, whose conclusions have evolved over the years. “Once the fire started and the outer cover started burning, hydrogen played a role.”

Bain doesn’t want to call his findings a theory. Instead, he said, “what I did is connect the dots of a lot of events.”

Sponsored Links
Back