Electricity to a garage

How will he sign it off then?

To be fair Alarm.

I seem to get rather a lot of work involving distribution to outbuildings and i certainly dont mind the customer doing the grunt work. If the customer wants to dig and lay and stick tape down, then i am happy to pop in and see the cable layed before they back fill.

Now I know someone is going to reprimand me for this but on a couple of occassions i have not been able to get there before they back fill so i have asked them to take photos of install with cable and tape and a tape measure of depth at a couple of points. These would be added to my records as usual.

Admittedly i would rather do the glanding, only because i enjoy it!!

Sponsored Links
I was being fair.
Who wants to sign off something you cannot prove is correct or know was correct?

Your "ticket" you can do as you wish. But my understanding is you supervise and inspect before backfilling. I know it is easier for you all the same.

I like glanding off too. Always good to see a neat job.

Thank you all for your advice. The cable has been installed (buried to the correct depth, warning tape used etc) and terminated in the garage using a 2 way garage consumer unit. Cable glands are good and earthed. I will leave the connection at the other end (house CU) and testing to a local electrician but at least with your help I have broken the back of it. Thanks again.
OK - fine.

1. When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say would be the way you'd ensure that the work complied with Part P?

What do they, by default, assume will be done?

2. This is the declaration on an Electrical Installation Certificate that an electrician would be supposed to sign for the work (with my highlighting):

FOR DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION, INSPECTION & TESTING
    I being the person responsible for the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing, hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008 amended to 2011 (date) except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

Do you think this local electrician can reasonably do that?

3. Have you thought about what you will do/say if ever you sell the property and your buyer's solicitor asks you if you've done any work which required Building Regulations sign-off?

Sponsored Links
Admittedly i would rather do the glanding, only because i enjoy it!!
I like glanding off too. Always good to see a neat job.
You don't need to bother, apparently.

It seems you can just stick the SWA through a hole in the CU, without using a gland, and just twist the armour strands together and shove them into the earth bar, and that if you voice any suggestion to the contrary you are digging a hole for yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back